• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyunis

Woodpecer In My 205 S16!

kyunis

Just serviced my car and took it for a blast when the top end started knocking! Sounds like a woodpecker hitting on the top end of my engine. It is an S16 engine fitted with piper cams, could this be the cams?

Looses no pressure and still drives o.k until 2000rpm when the loud ticking starts? Can this be bottom or is it definately top end ? Possible faults?

I just bought it 2 weeks ago so not happy :-(.

jackherer

ticking could be a blowing exhaust manifold or gasket, worth checking anyway...

Faz85

Possibly tappets making the noise? Not sure if the tappet clearance is adjustable on an S16 tho, but was on my 306 which had a similar problem to the one you are describing. It could also be Con-rod bolts, i have heard of these causing a tapping noise.

Regards

Faraz

kyunis
Possibly tappets making the noise? Not sure if the tappet clearance is adjustable on an S16 tho, but was on my 306 which had a similar problem to the one you are describing. It could also be Con-rod bolts, i have heard of these causing a tapping noise.

Regards

Faraz

Are the con rod bolts known to go? The thing is the car drove spot on, no noise, after the drive it came about all of a sudden. Prob will take rocker cover off first to have a look. Thanks

jonand
Just serviced my car and took it for a blast when the top end started knocking! Sounds like a woodpecker hitting on the top end of my engine. It is an S16 engine fitted with piper cams, could this be the cams?

Looses no pressure and still drives o.k until 2000rpm when the loud ticking starts? Can this be bottom or is it definately top end ? Possible faults?

I just bought it 2 weeks ago so not happy :-(.

If it is using the standard tappets - then they are hydraulic and cannot be adjusted. However - if you have recently drained the oil, they do make a tapping noise until fully re-charged - and I have experienced this with my S16 when it only stopped tapping after a quick high revs moment. However, if you take this approach and it is something more serious eg bottom end bearings - then you are likely to induce more damage.

Hope this helps

Jon

Faz85
Are the con rod bolts known to go? The thing is the car drove spot on, no noise, after the drive it came about all of a sudden. Prob will take rocker cover off first to have a look. Thanks

Well a problem at the bottom end would most probably come about progressively, due to wear and tear, so if it came about all of a sudden, i would look elsewhere. jonand mentioned that the tappets are hydraulic, so cannot be set manually, but perhaps low oil pressure could be responsible??! Are you aware of any leaks?

Sorry i cant be of much more help

Faraz

kyunis

Thanks for the replies guys. The engine has had piper 270 cams fitted. Jon i did drain the oil, gave it a full service, maybe it could be due to that, but dont want to damage it further by revving it high. Will drive it about tommorrow see if any change. Im working all week, so earliest i can now take the head off and report back would be next saturday.

Faz , no oil leaks, but the car is s16 with standard 1.6 exhaust, does that make a difference? Thanks

Sign in to follow this