• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
inferno

Barn Find Engine Rebuild

inferno

the 1.9 1993 cat gti engine has sat for 2 n half years and the bonnet seems to have been up a long while.

2lxt20k.jpg

ovbiously ill start by steaming the engine bay (and most of the car), but im guessing it will be engine out to get the bay back to clean! so while its out im thinking of fully rebuilding it... how far would you go and part numbers/parts you would replace ect would be usefull. this will probably be a slow drawn out winter project...

where would i find blueprints for the engine and would it be worth attempting a blueprint rebuild?

jackherer

thats not all bird s*it is it? icon8.gif

Pugnut

205 engine bays really love a good steam clean :lol:

all seals should be done and the valve stem seals at a very minumum . you'll see the condition of everything else when you;re in there .timing belt, water pump etc

do you know why its been sat for so long and left to rot?

make sure its been sitting either with good non corrosive antifreeze in it or dry . if its been sitting with just water in it or a crap weak antifreeze then it'll probably be rotten internally

futura

I'd definitely rebuild it since it seems to have sat more than two years.

Timing belt will have to be replaced to play on the safe side, you don't want it to snap once you've spent money on the engine!

If sat for too long, all bearings could have suffered as the parts' weight has been applied in one place of the bearings for that time and probably has marked/damaged them. So they'll need replaced.

With the engine open I'd replace piston rings, all seals and water pump as mentionned above :lol:

Edited by futura

jonnie205

fire it up and see wht its like. Ok stem seasl may want doing and cam belt but see what its like when it runs, it may be a good engine as it is. I have run engines which have been sat for at least that length of time and they have been fine

Sign in to follow this