• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Gti6 Sensor Identification

pugpete1108

right just started stripping down the 6 lump and need to know what sensors on the block are what.

i have got a couple right i think, but can anyone give me definite answer?

1. cam position sensor?

2. water temp sender/sensor (not sure which)

3 as above?

4. oils something???

5,ditto

6.ditto

7.ditto

8.oil level indicator

sensors.jpg

sonofsam

7)Oil pressure.

8)Oil Temp?, well , you use the dipstick for level:P

5) Knock sensor.

pugpete1108
right just started stripping down the 6 lump and need to know what sensors on the block are what.

i have got a couple right i think, but can anyone give me definite answer?

1. cam position sensor?

2. water temp sender ( guage/warning lamp)

3 water temp sender ( ecu)

4. ?????

5,knock sensor????

6.????

7.oil pressure

8.oil temp sender

sensors.jpg

i found on the 306 forum that 5 was an oil level probe and 6 was a knock sensor could be wrong though.

might be an idea to remove it and se if there is a probe underneath??

welshpug

from the haynes book of lies - "the oil level sensor is located on the block just to the right of the oil filter", so I guess this would be 5

oil temp is in the sump so thas no8

oil pressure is above the oil filter so thats no7

Knock sensor is screwed into the front face of the block, there should be a botl securing the sensor to the block rather than being a screw in unit.

if it had aircon it'll have the cooling fan switch on the thermostat housing as well as the gauge/temp warning light

jonnie205

7 is actauuly an oil prssure warning light not a gauge. If you want to run an oil prressure gauge you will ahve to remove that light switch and make an adaptor to run the 8v pressure sender. I have been told s16 one will fit straight in but i have never tried myself. Only phase 1 gti6's had oil pressure gauge

pugpete1108

right then we are nearly there

1. cam position sensor?

4. ?????

5,oil level sensor

6.knock sensor

7.oil pressure

8.oil temp sender

and yes just looked and there is a hole for where the extra sensor should be for the air con , but i won't be needing that will i? i can just block it off

i wonder what number 4 is then :lol:

by the way what haynes was that in? i didn't think they made one for the gti6

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

ah, I'm being clever :P the xsi is identical bar the cam sensor I believe :lol:

lateral thinking, thinking sideways :lol: like the Citroen AX haynes manual never had much on the 1.5 D engine, but I had a 1.5 D powered AX, so I bought a pug 106 manual as the late P1 and P2 all had the 1.5 version :D

Edited by welshpug

sonofsam
:lol: Is no. 4 a tapped hole? my engine has the feed for the turbo there.just checked :lol:

pugpete1108
;) Is no. 4 a tapped hole? my engine has the feed for the turbo there.just checked ;)

yeah its a tapped hole with only one purple wire coming out

pj838

Got some stuff on my 6 engine (phase 2 with PAS and Aircon) I need to know what it is, any help appreciated!

DSC00570.jpg

Thats the loom obviously :D

DSC00571.jpg

This is the plug inside a heat-wrap... what is it please?

DSC00580.jpg

This is part of the inlet manifold/throttle body...?

DSC00572.jpg

This is the main/fuel relay, but what is the plug>>?

DSC00579.jpg

This blue plug I don't think was connected when I picked the engine up, and I think its been snapped..?

Thanks

smighall

2nd pic: Vehicle Speed Sensor to drive an electronic speedo. Plugs onto the speedo housing on the gti6 gearbox

3rd pic: Stepper motor, or idle control valve. Bolts on the inlet manifold underneath

4th pic: Dual Relay, and fuel cutoff switch plug. You should have a plug with a red rubber cap that fits in. If not just bridge the 2 wires to bypass is.

5th pic: I think that's for the PAS to raise the revs at idle if need be?

pj838

Thanks a lot for that smighall :D

So I will just leave that 6 speedo connector unconnected when I wire the loom into my 205. The fuel cut off plug I will prob do like you say and solder the 2 wires together.

The PAS plug I will just leave as my car will not running PAS or aircon.

As I understand it so far, I won't need to do anything to the smaller of the 2 multiplugs, just split the other bigger one and wire it up... getting a 306 haynes next week.

what could possibly go wrong :)

Ah one more unidentified connector I have:

connectors.jpg

the arrowed one is a brown 3pin plug- ?

Malachy
]

the arrowed one is a brown 3pin plug- ?

looks like the crank sensor to me.

smighall

Yup looks like the crank sensor to me too. The sensor that bolts in the top of the gearbox :o

littlemike

The broken blue plug's probably off the oil temp sensor on the sump. They're prone to getting damaged if you've got the engine sat on the floor.

Regarding the speed sensor the ecu uses it to calculate what gear you're in and to slightly hold the revs up when rolling to junctions, probably more too?! There are sensores around that have the 3 pin connection for the gti6 loom and also have a pass through for the 205 speedo cable. They're hard to find though, but without one your ecu will store a fault although it's not serious enough for it to bring the fault light on.

The 306's carbon canister valve needs a resistor fitting in it's place too or that will do the same.

Edited by littlemike

pj838

Thanks for the info guys. I have the plug which connects the sump oil temp, its a different one although you're right its a bit the worse for wear.

Will it be ok to leave the crank speed sensor unplugged (for now at least), will the engine run ok without it? Ditto the canister valve? I know it sounds like I want to leave a lot of stuff out but I want to find out the minimum it takes to get it running and then sort out the minor problems.

I got this diagram from the 306 forum one of their articles, it looks quite useful:

306wiringdiagramgti6p2.jpg

or is it ? :)

fletch

I don't think the engine will start without the crank sensor, as the ECU can't tell how fast the crank is spinning.

Malachy
I don't think the engine will start without the crank sensor, as the ECU can't tell how fast the crank is spinning.

you can't leave the crank sensor out this basically tells the ecu how fast the engine is spinning and what position it is in (its reads your flywheel teeth 60-2 wheel) thus enabling it to time injection and spark.

if the ecu does not see any rpm it will not spark and it will not inject fuel!

Richie-Van-GTi
Regarding the speed sensor the ecu uses it to calculate what gear you're in and to slightly hold the revs up when rolling to junctions, probably more too?! There are sensores around that have the 3 pin connection for the gti6 loom and also have a pass through for the 205 speedo cable. They're hard to find though, but without one your ecu will store a fault although it's not serious enough for it to bring the fault light on.

The 306's carbon canister valve needs a resistor fitting in it's place too or that will do the same.

I have one of the sensors knocking about ;)

I set up a 306 s16 conversion without the carbon canister, no resistor etc and its never had any issues. I left it plugged into a solenoid that basically done nothing :D

Matt Holley

1. cam position sensor?

4. ?????

5,oil level sensor

6.knock sensor

7.oil pressure

8.oil temp sender

Just to through a spanner in the works I recently removed the loom from a xsare vts engine and it didnt have a plug on number 7 and didnt look like there ever was , I also noticed this on dixons engine when we were doing his conversion, how ever there was a plug on number 4 so I think that is what is used for the oil pressure light.

Anybody else had this? I will have to check with one wired into the car but if there is a spare hole for an oil pressure sender then that can be used for a gauge :P

pj838
I have one of the sensors knocking about :blink:

I set up a 306 s16 conversion without the carbon canister, no resistor etc and its never had any issues. I left it plugged into a solenoid that basically done nothing :)

Hey Richie I have PM'd you about the sensor :huh:

Sign in to follow this