• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ritmo

No Indicators And Hazard

Ritmo

Hi

my gti started happening problems over the last couple of days, when driving the indicators would some times come on and the petrol guage is going mental!! :mellow:

Now with the engine running the indicators and hazards dont work but when you turn the engine off they work but the petrol guage moves in time to the indicators, also when the brake pedal is applied the petrol guage does strange things!!

The engine is running but when you accelerate its misfiring and the ptrol guage is showing empty.

Could this be an earth problem? or something more sinister :ph34r:

Its a 1.6 gti with 135k on the clock if this is relevant, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Grim.Badger

Sounds like an earth problem, or at an outside chance some wires may be touching each other. Check the yellow earths under the headlights first as the indicators earth there.

jackherer

sounds like a bad earth to me, there is one behind the pass side rear light cluster that is for the rear lights, fuel pump and fuel gauge so I'd check that first.

Ritmo

thanks guys will look at this at the weekend and hope i can sort it out

Electrics allways an unknown!!

Ritmo

Hi guys

it was the earth block at the rear light as you suggested jackherer, when I tried to take the plug off the earth block the whole thing came off in my hand all rusted away. I have reconected the block on to a solid part of the body and connected the earth wire! everything back to normal :)

The car runs better now, so it must have been a problem for a while! the petrol gauge is showing the correct amount of fuel, lights are brighter and the revs are not fluctuating as much.

I can only wonder if everyone did this 10min job with their gti's how many problems it would solve!

thanks for the good advice guys

Ritmo

jackherer

nice one :)

if its running better now it must have been the fuel pump running slowly before...

Ritmo

Hadden't thought of that but yes it could have been the fuel pump running slow or pulsating when the lights, indicators, heater was switched on!!

I had some burnt wires in the engine bay as well, it was the wires to the fog lights, the prevous owner had replaced them with an aftermarket set of fog lights and wired them to the main beam of the head lights using a relay!! I was lucky it didn't catch fire!

The car is 16 years old and the wiring is getting a bit tired just trying to fix everything as it goes wrong to keep the gti alive.

Ritmo.

Sign in to follow this