• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
veloce200

Pcv

veloce200

Hi there

I know a lot of track people run open breathers which is fine flat out but not good for part throttle use as all the crap in the crankcase tends to stay in the crankcase. so most cars have a pcv valve somewhere - thing is can't find it on the Pug anywhere ? Anyone know ?

thanks

Julian

Grim.Badger

Link

Doesn't have one, apparently, and I've never come across one (although I have to admit I'm not sure I'd know I was looking at one :D )

pug_ham

I think I've seen one on a Motronic 205 GTi but never on a Jetronic one.

Certainly not on any of the Jetronic engines or cars I've worked on or stripped.

Graham.

Emmy Seize

Look out for the purge canister under the left front wing.

If there is none, your car is unlikely to have a pcv.

As has been said before, these systems are found on Motronic cars, not on Jetronic ones.

Number 18 in the picture is the pcv.

post-7571-1159428099_thumb.jpg

welshpug

aaah! wondered what the big canister thing was in my 405's left front wheelarch just behind the foglamp!

jim21070

Backalong, a PCV Valve was a Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. It was positioned between the rockerbox (usually) and the inlet manifold to allow crankcase fumes to be sucked into the inlet manifold to be burned. It was, in fact, the original emission control measure, introduced in 1963 when it was mandated that crankcase fumes (which have very high CO levels) must not be vented to air.

The PCV valve itself was designed to ensure that under idle conditions it would be closed and thus not upset idle quality by allowing too much air into the inlet manifold.

Emmy Seize

Jim is right, the valve I mentioned is not the one we are looking for.

Crankcase ventilation on the XU engines happens (as far as i was able to find out) via the hoses that are attached to the oil filler. I checked cars with both systems (Jetronic and Motronic) and did not find any sort of valve in the lines.

As Jim said, this is just an emission control measure, so using open breathers shouldn´t affect the engine running at any point as long as you block off the hoses leading to the inletmanifold properly.

Edited by Emmy Seize

Sign in to follow this