• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest JGW1987

Which Cam?

Guest JGW1987

Hi all, im gonna be buying a 1.6gti soon and was just wondering what type of

mods you would reccomend for road use. I was thinking of the standard things

such as sports manifold and exhaust sytem incl. de cat and induction kit/uprated filter.

The thing is would a cam on its own make a difference or would it require headwork

to make a difference?

Cheers

Jonmurgie

Welcome to the forum ;)

First port of call for you my friend is to discover the search button at the top right of the screen... there you shall find the answers to all your questions!

smckeown

none of the above ;) 205's are a little different than the norm, they are normally highly tuned from the factory in comparison....search does wonders...

bitchass 205

such as sports manifold and exhaust sytem incl. de cat and induction kit/uprated filter.

The thing is would a cam on its own make a difference or would it require headwork

to make a difference?

Cheers

Try this, i was going to do the "standard tunning" stuff untill i read this.

www.pumaracing.co.uk/

Guest JGW1987
Try this, i was going to do the "standard tunning" stuff untill i read this.

www.pumaracing.co.uk/

Which route did you go down then?

Daxed

Have you owned/driven a 205 before JGW?.

If not then see how the car suits you once you have got it. A 205 of either capacity is a fun car, check out some of the current threads, in particular Anthony's comments on the std car.

Depending on it's condition it may be a good idea to ensure it performs to an 'as-new' condition. Think about spending your money on ensuring the rear beam is in top notch condition, any 15 yr old example that has not been re-conditioned will be getting tired by now.

Make sure that all the various 'joints' (drop links, track rod ends, ARB bushes, wishbones etc) are good.

If you feel it's lacking in some capacity then consider an aftermarket suspension upgrade, solid mounts to the rear beam, better flexibles for the brakes, the list of desirable modifications prior to engine upgrades is a long one.

Cheers

Guest JGW1987

Daxed- No i havent driven one but my mate had a 1.6 and that was a fun car. Im hoping to get a low mileage example with s/h and upgrade

the brakes and suspension before the engine, but i was just wondering what worked well.

Seeing as im going from a modified mini that handles like a go kart i think suspension upgrades would definately be the first thing on my list.

veloce200
Daxed- No i havent driven one but my mate had a 1.6 and that was a fun car. Im hoping to get a low mileage example with s/h and upgrade

the brakes and suspension before the engine, but i was just wondering what worked well.

Seeing as im going from a modified mini that handles like a go kart i think suspension upgrades would definately be the first thing on my list.

personally having owned 3 1.6's and 1 1.9 I would say just drop 1.9 bottom end in. They FEEL so much quicker in the real work even if in reality there is not a huge horsepower increase.

dee205

to make a difference?

Cheers

A 4-1 ss manifold and system does help the flow of things a little and sounds great! Plus it's 99% fit and forget for stainless.

The decat is out the window as the 1.6 never had a pussy. Only the later 1.9

Induction kit can give you a bi more noise.. That's all IMO. The standard air box works better as alot on here will agree.

There was a cam in my 1.6 before I changed to Mi power and tbh it didn't do much as the standard cam is good enough.

Suspension and brakes would be first on my list. There's no point having a fast car that handles like a bag of sh1t going fast and needs a weeks notice to stop!

Damien

Baz
personally having owned 3 1.6's and 1 1.9 I would say just drop 1.9 bottom end in. They FEEL so much quicker in the real work even if in reality there is not a huge horsepower increase.

However there is plenty of people who will disagree and say a good 1.6 is not to be overlooked, including myself having owned a good number of both 1.6s and 1.9s. A healthy 1.6 is hell of alot of fun, the revvy nature and shorter gearbox ratios makes for a very adrenalin inducing entertaining car. They are also alot cheaper to buy, and insure etc. :mellow:

Guest JGW1987

So the standard cam is good enough for road use, thats a couple of hundred quid i can spend on brakes/suspension then. Would the 1.9 bottom end make much difference with the 1.6 box?

rutlandguy

JGW - It would be much better for you to buy a 1.9 that way you get a bigger engine and better brakes straight out of the box so to speak. As others have said here, there are lots of rubber suspension related rubber bits on a 205 which are now 15+years old and that will affect the dynamics of the car greatly. Replacing all the rubber bits is either expensive or a very time consuming job if you do it yourself. once you have that sorted then you can look to modding for more power.

Cheapest route for that is to replace the engine for a another PSA lump with 16 valves either 1.9 or 2.0L they almost drop straight in and give you 160+ bhp of reliable power.

The above is just my view but use the search function or got through the forum pages to discover the wealth of info there is on this site which will help you form your own opinion. TBH Id say dont part with and cash until you have!

Phil

So the standard cam is good enough for road use, thats a couple of hundred quid i can spend on brakes/suspension then. Would the 1.9 bottom end make much difference with the 1.6 box?

Guest JGW1987

I was thinking of a 1.9 but the insurance and the revvy 1.6 engine has kind of pushed me towards the smaller engine. Engine mods will have to wait until insurance drops anyway.

bitchass 205
Which route did you go down then?

Well tbh, i haven't started any tunning yet, i was hoping to get some head work done then fit a 4-1 manifold with a group n exhaust. BUT, my rear beam has just gone up the spout so that will need doing before anything else. After that i hope to upgrade the brakes and suspension then think about some engine work.

As others have said, i've found that the car in standard tune is all i'm after right now and without the brake/suspension mods i think the car wouldn't give me the satisfaction it does.

Stay standard for a while, if this is your first one, and appreciate what the car can do then maybe get some work done. Don't think that the 1.6 will give massive figures though, if you want that then you'll need to turbo an MI16 or similar. :mellow:

Guest JGW1987

Like i said the engine mods will have to wait, the first mods will be brakes and suspension setup to cope with a power increase. What kind of gains could be ahieved from head work, weber 45's, a cam, manifold and exhaust system on a 1.6 and how would it compare to a mildly tuned 1.9 (air filter, manifold, exhaust and RR setup)?

Cheers

bitchass 205
Like i said the engine mods will have to wait, the first mods will be brakes and suspension setup to cope with a power increase. What kind of gains could be ahieved from head work, weber 45's, a cam, manifold and exhaust system on a 1.6 and how would it compare to a mildly tuned 1.9 (air filter, manifold, exhaust and RR setup)?

Cheers

did you not read the article? There would be no noticable gains by 'mildly tunning' a 1.9, as stated in the article the exhaust system is better that the usual aftermarket ones and the air filter setup is better, again, than an aftermarket one.

If you were to compare the 1.6 and 1.9 which had there respective heads ported then the 1.9 would have more power due to its engine size.

The only difference between the two engines is the stroke, so all other components are the same. if you changed the exhaust and induction systems on both engines you're likely to decrease the bhp by the same, respective amounts.

Guest JGW1987
did you not read the article?

Sorry mate, just read it. Looks like its brakes, suspension and getting it to run perfect for the

first year then, until I can afford a transplant. Is it possible to get a stainless system with the

same characteristics as the original pug 1?

Daxed

Good question.

DES Group N perhaps?

Look them up, see what you think

bitchass 205
getting it to run perfect for the

first year then,

:D:P:D:(

yes, that is probably the best thing to do! i'm still trying.

Thats a good question about the exhaust, it would be something i'd be interested in, although i do like the look of the Group N.

Well good luck, the guys on here are all very helpfull!

Guest JGW1987

I emailed DES about a stainless system and they have got their own system which is an equivalant to the grp n for £200+ vat.

boombang

Not sure if you are a PSOOC member, but they were offering free fitting as long as you show a valid membership card :wacko:

Sign in to follow this