• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest darren1984

Starter Clicking And Battery Drain

rocky

Anyone know where i start to look at to rectify the fault?

It might be a wiring fault on the alternator.

Anton green

I have had similar problems.

Check the condition of the brown wire under the ignition cowling

Check the condition of the infamous brown multiplug

Check the condition of the spade connector on the starter motor solinoid

Check the condition of the spade connector on the alternator

Check the condition of the wire which runs from the battery positive terminal to the black box (probably mounted upon your slam panel)

Check the battery terminal clamps are clamped.

Very high chance it is one of these /\

It looks like my alternator is goosed, not saying yours is but it turns out that is most likely my problem as everything else is good

Edited by Anton green

brianthemagical

it it possible to test the alternator with it disconnected form the charging circuit?

Dream Weaver

Also make sure the alt belt isn't too tight - that can cause problems with the charging circuit.

Anton green
I have had similar problems.

Check the condition of the brown wire under the ignition cowling

Check the condition of the infamous brown multiplug

Check the condition of the spade connector on the starter motor solinoid

Check the condition of the spade connector on the alternator

Check the condition of the wire which runs from the battery positive terminal to the black box (probably mounted upon your slam panel)

Check the battery terminal clamps are clamped.

Very high chance it is one of these /\

It looks like my alternator is goosed, not saying yours is but it turns out that is most likely my problem as everything else is good

Rocky, thats a fair size list I have to check here but work through them one by one and you get there :(

Ignore what I said about my alternator being goosed though as it decided to start working again today out of the blue for 20 miles all by itself, then it started up again doing the battery light thing on the dash so I'm screwed if I know whats wrong with my car -doesnt sound like an alternator issue any more to me..

Rob_the_Sparky

Check no1 - check the belt is tight. A slipping belt can cause this.

rocky

Thanks for the response guys!

And Anton, thanks mate, I will go through them one by one just to make sure everything is in good condition anyway.

And Rob, i will just replace the belt and see if that makes a difference as the belt was a little frayed along th edges. I tugged it a bit with my finger and it seems like it is ok, but since i didnt change the belt when changing the alternator, the belt might have stretched or indeed damaged.

To my knowledge i have never known an alternator to give good charge only above 4k rpm and not below, so the alternator probably is good, most likely a belt issue (i hope).

Edited by rocky

Sign in to follow this