• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andymi16

Be3 / Be1 Gearbox Swap

andymi16

Guys

I've swapped the mi and 1.6 lumps over, complete with gearbox's.

What other transmision bits must i swap?

Gear lever?

Lift reverse mech?

Rods?

Not far from being up and running! :P

Thanks

Andy

jackherer

are you going be1 to be3 or vice versa? also I assume its the Mi16 box going in?

M@tt

you wont need to swap rods i dont think

are you going be3 > be1?

or be1 > be3?

however you will need to swap

Gearsticks (inc lift up mech which is attached) & lift up reverse cable

Clutch Cable

Clutch Pedal (as it has a different cable connector on the end)

HTH

jackherer
however you will need to swap

Gearsticks (inc lift up mech which is attached) & lift up reverse cable

you only need to swap gearsticks if you go from be3 to be1, if its the other way round you can just ignore the lift up reverse cable.

Clutch Cable

Clutch Pedal (as it has a different cable connector on the end)

only if its a non Mi16 box, as even a be1 MI16 box uses 205 be3 clutch components.

in this case I thought it was best to ask questions first rather than blindly throwing answers up which may well be wrong.

M@tt
in this case I thought it was best to ask questions first rather than blindly throwing answers up which may well be wrong.

fair point, listen to jack

andymi16

Thanks guys,

Both. But for now BE3 to BE1.

I've swapped cable and pedal.

So I need the lever and that should be it?

Ta

M@tt

yeah be3 to be1 you'll need to swap the sticks over and also fit the lift up reverse cable as well

andymi16

Great.

Not to difficult is it? Does it bolt from inside or underneath the car?

Thanks again.

jackherer

the bolts for the gearlever are inside the car.

The Mi16 box does have one other issue, one of the gear arms on the box is a bit longer than the 205 equivalent so you need to tap out the roll pin holding it in and swap it for the shorter part from the 205 box. You need to be extremely careful to not let the shaft drop inside the box while the arm is off or you will lose fifth and reverse gears and need to strip the box down. Thats the accepted wisdom anyway, I didn't do mine that way, instead I carefully bent the arm on the gear rod to match the angle of the arm on the Mi16 gearbox.

jim205GTI

Not an answer but a question.............. how did you bend the gear rod to match the arm on the gearbox as i have this issue at the moment..... in my moment of yes i've done it i failed to notice that the selector arm differed to the 205 gearbox arm :P

jackherer

I used two huge ring spanners (27mm or thereabouts) as levers, it takes a bit of effort as its fairly thick but I've done it that way twice now and it works really well and takes five minutes.

jim205GTI

Cool cheers go and have a look for my big spanners and do that in a bit as the weather is nice.......don't happen to have a pic though do you?

Cheers Jim

jackherer

sorry, no pics. you just need to bend it back towards the car a bit, if you look at the gearstick and the box it should be pretty obvious.

James_m

Jackherer, does the same apply to a BX16v box?

jackherer

yes, my 205s gearbox was from a BX and this is how I made it fit.

James_m

What sort of shape do you need to bend it into? Does it need to go S shaped with right angles if that makes sense..... or just bent? Ive tried fitting it as it is, and i get gears way over to the left hand side of the stick...

jackherer

Just one bend, towards the bulkhead. If you've got it fitted as is you should have the gear rod going diagonally, you need to bend the arm so the rod ends up parallel again. You'll need to undo the lock nut on the gear rod and rotate the balljoint so its at the right angle too.

I'll take some pics in the next week or so when I get the engine out of a friends 205.

James_m

Cheers Jackherer. that makes more sense. i'll have a play and report back.

jim205GTI

Had a quick go at the weekend but kept finding the arm kept popping off the balljoint on the subframe......... My thinking now is that it could prove easier to to disconnect it at both ends and do it off the car :(

jackherer

You definitely have to take it off the car, I should have made that clear as you're not the first person to try it on the car after reading my posts above :):(

James_m

lol :lol: Yep, definetly not possible in car....

jim205GTI

I should have have thought of it really but........... :):lol: thats my job today..................

i'm wondering if i am really a blonde!!

jim205GTI

See i am a blonde............... how do you remove it!!!! haha the book i have got is not very good just says blah blah and not how to replace them and i can't find my haynes manual :lol:

Sign in to follow this