• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Turbo7379

Best Non Gti Shell For Mi16 Track Car

Turbo7379

I want to build a MI16 track car but I'm not sure what shell to use . I have all the GTI running gear & an MI16 engine but I just need a suitable shell to put it into . I know a GTI shell would be the best option but good GTI shells are scarce in Ireland & therefore expensive .

I know there is an issue with the position of the o/s engine mount , a problem I came across when building my 205 GTI van ! The van had a 1.4 TU engine but the mount was in totally the wrong position for the GTI engine . I ended up cutting the mount out of the GTI doner car & welding it in the correct position in the new shell . I would prefer not to have to do that again as it was a lot of hassle . Which shells have the mount in the correct place for the MI16 engine ?

Cheers ,

Derek

timmsy19

i would imagine the best shell if you wanted to do that would be pre 1988 which used the xu engines. downside to that is rust an other issues you may have. also even harder to find than the decent gti shells

smckeown

i think the diesel turbo's have the same shell don't they ? search on here to find out

Sam
i would imagine the best shell if you wanted to do that would be pre 1988 which used the xu engines. downside to that is rust an other issues you may have. also even harder to find than the decent gti shells

Wrong way round.

I'd say anything after 89 to be safe. A 92/93 XS would be a good option. You'll need to change the subframe to GTI spec or move the lower mount fork (if you can) and reweld the gear lever post. It's a myth that the drivers side mounting is different on the TU engine cars to the XU ones, they are the same, unless you have a very early TU shell or a euro rallye one.

timmsy19
Wrong way round.

I'd say anything after 89 to be safe. A 92/93 XS would be a good option. You'll need to change the subframe to GTI spec or move the lower mount fork (if you can) and reweld the gear lever post. It's a myth that the drivers side mounting is different on the TU engine cars to the XU ones, they are the same, unless you have a very early TU shell or a euro rallye one.

ahh i stand corretced

welshpug

or any Auto 205.

jonnie205

any post 88 shell will be fine. No need to move gear lever selector post of lower fork mount bracket as that is all part of the gti subframe which you will be fitting. Only difference in gti shells is rear arches i think

Sam

Jonnie, I think you misread my post.....

You'll need to change the subframe to GTI spec or move the lower mount fork (if you can) and reweld the gear lever post.

Turbo7379

Thanks for the tips guys . :lol:

I'm guessing that some of the TU shells had the RH mount in a different place ? I guess I was unlucky with the van shell . ;) What year did they change the TU mount to the same place as the GTI shells ?

Sign in to follow this