• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tri_longer

Smaller Radiators

tri_longer

Howdy all

Recently had a set of twin webers fitted and have been looking at the options for the rad to allow more direct aireflow.

One option would be to lower (i.e Des Developments braket), though this appears expensive. But I believe that it is possible to put a smaller rad (height wise) on. As ally rads appear to be reasonably priced, I thought I would investigate this option further.

Car is only being used for sprints/hill climbs and presently to travel to and from the events.

Has anyone else tried this and if so what dimension rad should i be looking for and have you a suggested supplier.

Cheers, Chris.

tom_m

lowering can be done for pennies using brackets from B&Q, take a look at jonmurgie's thread on his track car

otherwise smaller capacity ally rads are available, at about the same price as DES want for the brackets IIRC, these too will be somewhere in here

Edited by tom_m

Jonmurgie

I personally wouldn't go for a smaller rad on the 205, it's quite small as it is! You also don't need to buy the DES mounts, it's easy to fabricate some up yourself... this is what I've done:

pic225.jpg

pic530.jpg

Robsbc

I have one of those custom alloy rads from Radtec....Not cheap comapred to using B&Q brackets but look the part..

Rob

Revla

I Lowered mine using some ally brackets I made up.....

Got a lower rad hose from a 1.4 and cut it to fit the lowered rad.

This then gets rid of the metal pipe and the 2 hoses either side of it..... perfecto!

Dream Weaver

I also did mine from B&Q, cost me about £7 and works a treat.

rad3.jpg

rad4.jpg

rad6.jpg

jochem

I used the brackets that normally hold the foglights in place.

Also moved the rad to the front of the metal bar. I hope this will give a bit more breathing space for the engine, alt and starter.

TEKNOPUG

Hmmmm....I really need to raise my rad but I think that it's the lower bar that is actually in the way. Does this give any structual rigidity or is it just to support the rad?

sonofsam
Does this give any structual rigidity

Im no expert but I would say yes.Just think its the only thing joining the front of the car at that point.

Thats why i didn't want to cut mine and possibly compromise the integrity of it! Not without a jig anyhow.

TEKNOPUG

Bugger - has anyone fitted a Cossie IC under the rad? Mad-Prof has a few mock up pictures of his and it protudes beneath the valance, which is not what I want at all. Dropping the rad and mounting it behind the grill is gonna be a real pain with the boost pipes. Guess that I may have to see if I can find a slimmer OE FMIC.

TEKNOPUG

....unless there is room to fit it between the bottom of the rad and teh lower valance......

sonofsam

I beleive Fuqa has his there, but as you say it potrudes out a bit.

Kuuner also had this set up, his seemed further back though.

Have a look at a BMW TDS I/C, may suit your needs:)

Edited by sonofsam

inferno

the bx 16v rad is about the right size to run boost pipe either side or over the top IIRC, defo much smaller and fits nug in the original 205 fan cowling with a few cable ties (you could mod the cowling to fit properly. could be ideal for what your planning.

but i dont see why you couldnt lower the rad and fit a cossie intercooler bhind the grill?

TEKNOPUG
but i dont see why you couldnt lower the rad and fit a cossie intercooler bhind the grill?

Because the outlet on the TT points directly down and passes along under the engine, past the sump and up to the IC.

I could run it up and behind the grill but it would increase the distance and number of bends, plus it would be above the rad and act as a heatsink.

DJ_ManuR6

Hi mates, can the radiator be lowered with this custon allu brackets and keep the plastic double fan housing?

Cheers

Dream Weaver

Yes, mine keeps the std fan cowling. :D

tom_m
Because the outlet on the TT points directly down and passes along under the engine, past the sump and up to the IC.

I could run it up and behind the grill but it would increase the distance and number of bends, plus it would be above the rad and act as a heatsink.

you always re-orient teh compressor housing of your turdo so it pointed up instead of down, like teh xu10's turbo and run a custom boost route?

TEKNOPUG

Maybe theres not a lot room between the engine, upper mount, alternator, wing etc

tom_m

true, but you could run a route similar to henry's skip if you were using teh standard IC

would become more of a ball ache with the cossie ic though

Sign in to follow this