• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

1.6 Or 1.9 Head?

Guest BrainFluid

I'm on the look out for a cylinder head for the 1.6 engine. This head will be set up for running on LPG.

Now, seen as I have the apparent choice of fitting either a 1.6 head or a 1.9 could anyone enlighten me if it would be worth getting a 1.9 head instead of a 1.6?

Searching reviled that the the valves are larger. A better flow in and out must be good but is there anything I should also know or be made aware of?

Searching also showed that you need the 1.9 blanking plate if you swop to a 1.9 head because of the timing hole, is that true?

Thanks in advance,

Nate.

jackherer

the valves are only different sizes on pre 1987 1.6s, after that they are the same as 1.9s.

the cams vary slightly but nothing significant I don't think.

dont think theres anything else thats different.

Guest BrainFluid

So a '90 1.6 will have the same head as any aged 1.9? With only the cam being slightly different yes?

Does this mean that I can get either a 1.6 or a 1.9 head and just base my search on the quality of it?

petert

There's at least three different heads I can think of, possibly four.

early 1.6 - small chambers/small long valves (39.5/33 & 108mm long)

later 1.6/1.9 - small chambers/bigger long valves (41.6/34 & 108mm long)

1.9 DFZ, export - large chambers/small short valves (39.5/33 & 105mm long)

Edited by petert

jackherer

Peter is correct but the vast majority of heads you will find in the UK are the later 1.6/1.9 non-cat type so yes you can use either with the rare exceptions of either a very early 1.6 or a very late cat equipped 1.9.

Sign in to follow this