• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Bad Fuel Economy, Popping On Overun, Stalling

kyepan

Hi there,

fuel economy was very good, but recently its got really bad (150 from a tank) and its not my heavy right foot.

Also the car is stalling after a pushing along and coming to a halt. (happened 3 times)

And Popping on down shift / upshift more than normal.

i have a spare temp sensor.. but just want to check its the right course of action.

cheers

Justin.

Simes

Always worth swapping as it's not going to do any harm.

When mine failed at around Christmas time, all I noticed was the indecent amount of fuel the car used. There were none of the symptons you describe.

kyepan

The stalling was getting pretty bad, every junction I pulled up to, if you didn't crawl up, when lifting from the throttle it died. Also it was stuttering very slightly at idle throttle positions and not pulling so strong at the top end. Changed the temp sensor over and its not improved a whole heap.

Did the following to remedy (Thanks to Anthonys advice at the meet, cheers for that !)

1)Removed and cleaned afm with a tooth brush dipped in injector cleaner, but it was pretty clean (avoided the wire inside as it looked fragile) wiped out with kitchen towel. (took 5 mins)

2)Took the rubber hose off and got to the throttle body.

3)Took my injector cleaner and a tooth brush and cleaned up to the butterflies pretty oily and grimy.

4)Opened the butterflies using the throttle linkage and cleaned the butterfiles on both sides, and a little way through the throttles, wiped down with kitchen towel. There were some reasonably heavy grimy deposits around the rim of the butterflies.

Anthony told me to watch out for the throttle being closed too much so I checked the linkage.

5)Noticed that the adjuster had come loose on the throttle so adjusted the slack in the throttle cable and opened the butterflys a bit too much (3000rpm idle) so backed it off. Idle is slightly higher than previous 900, bout 970-1030.

Reseated all the hoses and breathers refitted afm

Three main differences from this.

Now the throttle is adjusted its nice and sensitive at first touch which means there is less take up, so you can drive smoother with less pedal travel, heel toe easier bla bla bla.

Its not stalling any more, revs are stable once they fall and rarely dip below 1000 until they settle.

Finally, the power delivery is much stronger at low and high revs, the coming on cam is less noticable as its already pulling hard, less suttering, juddering and at the top end it keeps pulling strong. The only way i can describe it is its singing, a clearer exaust note, very defined as before it was muddy.

May be worth giving your body and afm a clean if the car feels tired.

Sign in to follow this