• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
v6Max

Head Gasket Question...

v6Max

I've got a G plate 205 1.9 8v on a genuine 77k miles - On start-up there's no smoke and holding a white towel over the exhaust shows that it's running very clean.

The oil was dropped about 3k ago and is still clear when dipped, the coolant is also clear but some times when the car get's fully warmed up and is hot idling I get white smoke out of the exhaust.

Now normally I'd assume head gasket failure but this only happens once the car is fully warmed up and as I said I can't find the other tell tale signs so I'm a bit confused.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Forgot to mention - yes I did a search and then made my way though all 24 pages! The justification for posting a new topic on an old subject it that these symptoms could indicate something else rather than HG failure (failed inlet gasket maybe for example).

Edited by v6Max

welshpug

do a compression test, this will eliminate the head gasket from your search for the culprit.

jeremy

Is the car using any water?

v6Max
Is the car using any water?

Very small amount if any from what I can see.

I'll do a compression test tomorrow

jeremy

Just a thought are you sure water hasn't condensed in the backbox, and when it starts to get hot this is evaporating causing steam plus the exhaust gasses thus looking white in colour. This will happen especially if you are doing short journeys as the exhaust never gets hot enough to get rid of all the water in the back box, you ma even notice that on some occasions you may see water pouring out of people exhaust, this just gives you an idea as to the amount of condensation possible.

jim21070
Just a thought are you sure water hasn't condensed in the backbox, and when it starts to get hot this is evaporating causing steam plus the exhaust gasses thus looking white in colour. This will happen especially if you are doing short journeys as the exhaust never gets hot enough to get rid of all the water in the back box, you ma even notice that on some occasions you may see water pouring out of people exhaust, this just gives you an idea as to the amount of condensation possible.

Mine does precisely this. It was scary the first time I noticed it. Provided you are not loosing coolant and your compressions are good, it is nothing to worry about whatsoever.

One of the chemical reactions from oxidising hydrocarbons is water and IIRC for every gallon of peterol burned something like half a gallon of water is produced. It has to go somewhere!

matt1900

i had a misfire only when hot on 1 cylinder, turned out to be the head gasket even though the compression test came up fine and i'd lost very little water - did notice a hose bulging eventually though lol

Sign in to follow this