• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Morty

Blocked Off Breather Hose....

Guest Morty

Hi...

Please can anyone shed any light on why the breather pipe between the inlet manifold and the air flow meter has been blocked off on my Pug?

The air flow meter might be a little tired ( Ok, broken perhaps.) The mixture is definitely too rich (smells lovely!) When I try and adjust the mixture down, nothing much seems to happen.(Although it does seem to adjust up.!). It stalls a lot when cold and idles way too high when hot...

I know that blocking the pipe was a bodge job for something but what problem is it a bodge for...? Surely if it was just the air flow meter that was the problem, then it should have just been replaced. ( During big rebuild project last year.) I was tempted to just unblock the hose and replace it as it has corroded quite badly but I don't know what problems that might result in.. I'm fed up with people thinking it's me stalling the engine at the start of a journey, and people frowning at me at traffic lights once I've been going for 20 mins or so.... Any insight greatly appreciated..

futura

I am not getting which pipe you are talking about, the only pipe that is right between the AFM and the inlet manifold (or the TB more precisely) is of massive diameter and could not possibly get blocked like that, surely you are talking about another pipe here?

Guest Morty

It's the small breather pipe on the outside of the rightangle of the pipe you're thinking of...

futura

So it's the pipe that goes to the S.A.D.

The only way I see it getting blocked would be because of oil + condensation residue coming from the oil cap through the oil breather connected to the inside of the right angle.

Did you have lots of 'cream' in your oil filling thingy?

steve@cornwall

sounds like somone's blocked off the sad pipe for emissions test- probably a faulty sad.....or if the pipe is going straight between these points is the sad missing altogether?

Guest Morty
So it's the pipe that goes to the S.A.D.

The only way I see it getting blocked would be because of oil + condensation residue coming from the oil cap through the oil breather connected to the inside of the right angle.

Did you have lots of 'cream' in your oil filling thingy?

'Oil filling thingy'...?

Hmmm.... You miss understand me... The hose has been sealed off.... Physically... Hence my suspicion of a bodge... I just don't get what it's been blocked off for... or how to fix it... Do you actually know then...?

steve@cornwall
sounds like somone's blocked off the sad pipe for emissions test- probably a faulty sad.....or if the pipe is going straight between these points is the sad missing altogether?

can you post a pic of the pipe route?- sounds like something's missing here.... How does she start on the cooler mornings?- may be winter cold start probs. ahead

luggy

I believe there are 3 breather points between the throttle body and the AFM.

No1. Metal vetical tube on the throttle body which is connected by rubber tube which goes from the throttle body about maybe 5mm in diameter (internally) connects to the small diameter hole in the oil filler cap. Its to do with reducing crankcase gases emissions so channels them to be burned by the engine.

No2. Larger diameter rubber tube which runs from the oil filler cap to the rubber hose, between the throttle body and AFM. This again is to to with crankcase emissions and channels them into the intake same as No1.

No3. Same size as No2 on opposite side but this is connected to the SAD.

I was having a lot of problems with mayonnaise buildup in the oil filler body and cap, took the advice from posts on this site to remove the metal gauze in the oil filler body and cap, then blocking off No1, throttle body breather and the narrow diameter hole in the oil filler cap.

Then blocking off No2 and putting an extended rubber hose from the oil filler cap to a catch tank.

Not only do you stop the mayo problem in the oil filler body and and throttle body but you also stop your fuelling being messed up with the crankcase gases, and it will certainly help get throught the MOT is youve got a problem with emission because of worn rings and liners.

Sorry I dont have pics

Luggy

Edited by luggy

steve@cornwall

o.k- the pipe you describe is the intake to the sad. it should be connected to the sad underneath the dizzy- and then onto another pipe that fits to the underside of the inlet manifold. I would suspect that yours has been sealed up as either a means to reducing emissions, or to cure the running symptoms you describe, which are more likely to be a symptom of the latter hose being split/ perished and leaking, having the effect of a constantly open sad- think "full choke at all times"

hth

Guest Morty
o.k- the pipe you describe is the intake to the sad. it should be connected to the sad underneath the dizzy- and then onto another pipe that fits to the underside of the inlet manifold. I would suspect that yours has been sealed up as either a means to reducing emissions, or to cure the running symptoms you describe, which are more likely to be a symptom of the latter hose being split/ perished and leaking, having the effect of a constantly open sad- think "full choke at all times"

hth

Thanks Steve, I'll check that out as soon as I can...

Guest Morty

I have just discovered that the sad is just flopping about in there...! It's not bolted on..! Heath Robinson or what..! Ordered the new hose and some bolts and another new sad (again!) Maybe that'll sort it out...

Sign in to follow this