• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
butchlad

My 1.9 Gti Engine Keeps Cutting Out - Very Lumpy Idle

butchlad

Hello everyone,

A few months ago my 1.9 GTi (no mods to the engine + exhaust) decided to start idling (spelling?) at around 1500 rpm. This was a bit high, so I took it in to my local garage. They had a tinker and found nothing obvious. When I got it back it idled at around 900 rpm (which I considered to be quite normal). However, since then the idle has become very lumpy, dipping down to 500 rpm and below, and as a consequence sometimes cuts out. It cuts out a lot when I am slowing down, e.g. for a junction, and I dip the clutch - The revs just fall away rapidly and it cuts out.

Is there such a thing as an idle control valve? and if so, would changing this cure the problem?

Please enlighten me here.

Many thanks,

Phil

futura

No such thing as an idle control valve :)

I guess you either have an air vaccuum in the injection circuit (check air pipes and oil breather pipes as well as inlet manifold gasket by spraying some WD40 and looking for buble when the engine is running) or your Air Flow Meter has given up.

I think the garage just adjusted the idle using the idling screw which didn't solve your stalling problems and erratic idle...

Sign in to follow this