• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jackherer

4 Branch Manifold On A 2.0 Mi16

jackherer

I'm trying to unbolt the manifold from the head on my mates 205 S16 (2.0 Mi16) with an aftermarket 4-2-1 manifold and its an absolute pig :)

I've done loads of standard 1.9 Mi16 manifolds and they are a bit of a pain but not as bad as this...

So I'm wondering what tools people have used to do this job, some of the 13mm nuts aren't reachable with a socket and I cant get enough leverage with a spanner.

I expect someone will post saying that they can swap manifold gaskets in half an hour with tea breaks, which is fine as long as you tell me exactly what tool you use :D:blush::)

Jonmurgie

It IS difficult as I've had my 4-2-1 on and off with the engine in the car... best tool we found was a ratchet spanner. Not much else to suggest really though, just keep at it and you'll find a way :D

Dream Weaver

I just used a Halford Pro std bit with the long 6" extension attached - it was a pain, but I got all the bolts off in the end.

Hardest part for me was getting it back on, took about 3 hours as I had to put it on in 2 pieces (forgot to put it in place before adding the engine :D )

Anthony

Didn't personally find any real problems of note when we did James's engine - pretty sure I just used a ratchet spanner.

PS. On a slightly different note - did you have major problems with the 4-2-1 manifold touching the bulkhead when used on the slightly taller XU10 engine?

jackherer

thanks for your replies :D

I've done it now, using a combination of a lot of different sized sockets and spanners... the hardest nut is the top one nearest the master cylinder, on a 1.9 its easy as there are only four nuts on the top row but the 2.0 has five so the last one is pretty hidden.

jackherer
PS. On a slightly different note - did you have major problems with the 4-2-1 manifold touching the bulkhead when used on the slightly taller XU10 engine?

it seems fine but I didn't fit it, I'm just replacing a blowing gasket. the car in question is wizeks old one that now belongs to a mate of mine, I do seem to recall Andy had a lot of trouble fitting it though.

d-9

I use an offset 13mm ring spanner, with a bit of a bend in the middle so it clears the head, and a soft face mallet to beat it with.

Miles

A offset 13mm ring spanner is what I use along with a normal 1/4 drive socket, allot easier than the std item

Sign in to follow this