• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Alternator

ALEX

Anyone changed the bearings on their alternator before?

Is it hard to do?

or am I best just getting a recon one?

Edited by ALEX

jim21070

Best to get a recon one IMHO.

If a bearing has gone then chances are that the rest of it is getting on a bit. For the cost and hassle factor, a recon wins every time...

welshpug

why when a bearing would only cost a few quid?

the rest of it is just a big coil of windigns and they dont wear.

Guest ashnicholls

I changed the bearing, its easy just undo the bolts, pop it out, and get a bear to fit.

But the bushes in the coil wear out, I ended up needing mine reconditioning, ie needing more than a bearing change.

ALEX

I replaced the brush pack last year (new pack only cost £12) I can't remember if I had to undo the pulley nut though. If I did I don't remember how I did it.

Anyone have any tips on removing this pulley nut.

The nut is in a recess with an allen key socket in the centre of the shaft which is used to hold the shaft still. I can't get my ring spanner over the nut, it's too recessed.

Sod it anyone know the price of recon one from GSF?

welshpug

£55ish plus vat

Guest ashnicholls

I just got a ring spanner on as far as I could, and then undid it with allen key.

Not hard at all. Maybe your ring spanner is too big?

That is the only hard part. Do you even have to take that off, I thought the bearing was at the other end?

Dont you just undo the little bolts running through the alterator and do take the bearing out.

Cheers

ALEX

I have a Hanynes Workshop Manual (better than the owners maintenance book) It shows an exploded diagram of the alternator and there are two bearings in it.

Looks like the pulley will have to come off.

I'll look for a new 22mm ring spanner tomorrow that is kinked more than mine is.

Guest ashnicholls

Oh, I used a ring spanner, that was kinked that was it, so it fitted down the hole.

ALEX
Oh, I used a ring spanner, that was kinked that was it, so it fitted down the hole.

I was at the car shop buying a ring spanner when the van reversed into me.

I can blame you for tha damage then :):P .

The ring spanner fits but I Have other things to sort out on the car first.

:lol:

Guest keithsto

If you havent got a bearing puller its a pain to get the old ones off. From what I remember last time I did one it was the little bearing away from the pulley that was a right pain.

The bearings will have numbers on them so you can order replacements from any bearing shop if you quote the numbers.

ALEX

Just took it apart now.

The rear bearing has gone. I'll look into buying a new one tomorrow.

It came apart quite easy but I'm going to have to buy/borrow a puller to get the bearing off the end off the shaft.

If I get time I'll take some pics and I might even put together a guide on how it's done.

I would have found one useful as the alternator I have isn't anything like the two in the Haynes.

I did end up snapping two of the six copper wires off when splitting the casing, I've soldered one back on but it got too dark to do the other.

Hope it works, just wish the insurance people would hurry up and sort this claim out.

I'm at least getting it half paid for :lol: .

Edited by ALEX

welshpug

excellent work matey, get some pics up for us, as I will need to use the theory behind it on a 99 MX5 thats been sat for 2 years and has a seized alternator!

should be pretty straightforward, as for gettign the fookin thing off the car that another matter!

Sign in to follow this