• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fulani

How Much To Lower?

fulani

Right, I've just won these on eBay...

I need to tell the seller whether I want a 25 or 40 mm drop. I'm thinking 25 as I don't want the wheels rubbing on the arches, and am looking for performance rather than looks really. Just bought them as a cheap replacement for the current buggered standard items.

Anyone got any pictures of 25 vs. 40mm drops?

Jonmurgie

Ah, well see if you cheak out most of the suspension poss on the forum most people go for 35mm! So out of your choices there I guess I'd go for 40mm as it's only 5mm more than what most people go fore.... would be interested to see what other people say :D

max0

Id also go -40mm. I think ive got the same springs with a -40mm drop with standard springs.

I havnt had any rubbing with 1.9 wheels and 195/50/15 tyers.

2 secs and ill sort a photo out

Standard

Lowered

Edited by pugtorque

taylorspug

For bumpy country lane type driving, id go for 25mm, it will stop the car being too camber sensitive and keep bumpsteer to a minimum. However the 25ish mm drop cars ive tried have tended to feel a little high and 'floaty' on smoother surfaces, but this may just be what im personally used to.

Certainly the car will look 'better' at -40mm, and on smooth road surfaces will probably drive better aswell. However at this drop you will start to encounter problems with the car being camber sensitive, bump steering, and maybe bottoming out slightly on the rear bumpstops (if the rear is lowered to match) on bumpier roads.

Also to consider is the Streetline shocks arent much different from standard, and you should be especially wary of the rear shocks, which are quite frankly piss poor.

If it was me, id have a think about what i was using the car for. Back lane tearing around with many ruts/potholes etc, id certainly go -25mm. Smoother tarmac id go with the -40mm. :D

fulani

Well it's certainly for back lane country driving, and the occasional track/airfield day. I know the shocks aren't the best, but to be honest I'm pretty happy with the standard ones, they're just old and knackered. And this is the best replacement I could afford.

I guess I could ask the seller about a possible 35mm spring..?

Looks wise, I'm not really fussed. I want it to look good (the front end sticks up in the air at the moment) but probably not obviously lowered, unless I'm getting a performance advantage from it.

max0
Well it's certainly for back lane country driving, and the occasional track/airfield day. I know the shocks aren't the best, but to be honest I'm pretty happy with the standard ones, they're just old and knackered. And this is the best replacement I could afford.

I guess I could ask the seller about a possible 35mm spring..?

Looks wise, I'm not really fussed. I want it to look good (the front end sticks up in the air at the moment) but probably not obviously lowered, unless I'm getting a performance advantage from it.

I remember when i got my springs i did a search and 35mm is what most people go for on here. I dont think the 5mm will make much difference - its prob the same drop as the 35mm from other manufactuers - like with cloths and shoes. The springs are quite crashy tho.

Andy

Alastairh

I would get 40mm.

Whats 5mm?

fulani
I remember when i got my springs i did a search and 35mm is what most people go for on here. I dont think the 5mm will make much difference - its prob the same drop as the 35mm from other manufactuers - like with cloths and shoes. The springs are quite crashy tho.

Andy

Cheers, I guess 5mm is bugger all really - you'd get that on tyre wear!

As for the crashy springs, I guess they're not the best, but they're cheap, and better than the 18 year old 160,000 mile standard items on the car at the moment. I need to save as much money as possible for an engine rebuild over the winter!

taylorspug

Looking at the pictures of max0s car above, id say the -40mm is a touch too low for normal road driving, its lower than my MI, and id say that is right on the limit of being too low. Certainly the -40mm would be good for track work, but on the road it will end up annoying the arse out of you and rattling the car to pieces. If the back lanes are your thing, go -25mm and get the beam reset to match, that way the ride will not be crashy, you arent making the car too sensitive, and you have a good amount of travel to soak up the varying degrees of crap road this country has to offer. :D

luggy

When I first bought my 1.9 it was lowered 40mm all round on standard shocks which was bumsteertastic :D on B roads and crap A roads and on long hauls, but a pleasure otherwise. Im currently running standard because I use mine for work and carry equipment but as a comprimise between standard and 40mm drop Id go for 25mm, you can always go lower if your not happy.

Luggy

Miles

I'd go 25mm really as much lower than this on the road is a pain with speed bump's etc, Also for back lane driving some suspension travel is good or the back wnd will just bottom out and it can throw you off the road if you catch it wrong.

Just don;t fit the Streetline rear's they will be worse than you 160k rear's trust me, a good ebay item!!

fulani

OK, if they really are that bad... :D

Can you still get original Peugeot parts for them? If so I can pop down to the new Pug garage in Shirley and order them. I need something to stop my back from going out on these country roads!

smighall

Get the Billy OE replacement shocks from ECP or somewhere like that. I'm pretty sure they are slightly better than standard.

Guest toby7

If you lighten your 205 gti ie carpet ,sound deadening, heater matrix, boot liner, sunroof you'll get to 830kg with 1/4 tank fuel which mine is. It will then be sitting very high on it's suspension noticabley more than standard so I'm picking 40mm will be a good choice. Mine certainly could go 40mm. However having said that my wheel alignment is spot on. It steers , stops and handles great on bumpy twisty roads.

Regards

Peter

fulani

I went for the 25mm drop in the end. I still need a usuable car for B road blasts, and not planning on stripping it out. They arrived this morning, but from Euro Car Parts instead of Just GTIs like they were supposed to. The ebay ad said they were Bilstein springs, but they're not. The shocks are Bilstein, but the springs are from some company called Ventura...

bothof9.th.jpg front02fz1.th.jpg rear01ur9.th.jpg springs01sj1.th.jpg springs02ad6.th.jpg

So, should I be complaining??

newdean0

Nooo, send them back! You've gone and bought bilstein streetlines there (the stuff ECP sell as Bilstein OE is actually Streetline). You're better off sticking with your original pug rear shocks. The Streetline front shocks are OK but you're better off buying standard pug if you can afford it for the rears.

fulani

Well I sent them an email as soon as I got it, as they weren't answering their phones (as usual), but we all know how good JustGTIs are at answering emails... :P

I shall start the ebay dispute resolution process... <_<

Miles

To cut a long story short, the rear dampers are not uprated at all, if anything they are de-rated, Maybe over a std model but not GTi's

The fronts are fine and pretty good for the money and I;ve never had any problems and recomend them for like for like replacements.

The Springs are supplied with the Kit's Bilstein don't make there own springs even in Germany they supply another make which I can't think of at the moment,

Just GTi's where shipping direct to save on cost.

Pug rear dampers are around £38.00 each, as I;ve just priced up some 306 one's which are basically the same

Edited by Miles

veloce200

Streetline is and always has been Bilstein OE - B4 that is. Their's nothing intrinsically wrong with them and you have paid a good price. However they did claim

"They are 15% Up rated from your standard shocks"

this is not true - only B6 monotube are uprated.

interestingly enough they have now removed B4 from the 205 GTI listings.

http://katalog.bilstein.de/

so if you want to return them at least you have good cause - missold.

veloce200
Streetline is and always has been Bilstein OE - B4 that is. Their's nothing intrinsically wrong with them and you have paid a good price. However they did claim

"They are 15% Up rated from your standard shocks"

this is not true - only B6 monotube are uprated.

interestingly enough they have now removed B4 from the 205 GTI listings.

http://katalog.bilstein.de/

so if you want to return them at least you have good cause - missold.

oh and a tip for the future - phone a dealer who know's their stuff and will talk it through on the phone. ebay is pile of *$&*(^$*(^£^ £^( :P

Edited by veloce200

KRISKARRERA

My 405's got the streetline kit on the front and I find it a bit crashy at times, I thought it was the springs but judging from what's said above it must be the dampers if they're not uprated to cope with the lowering springs??

veloce200
My 405's got the streetline kit on the front and I find it a bit crashy at times, I thought it was the springs but judging from what's said above it must be the dampers if they're not uprated to cope with the lowering springs??

not strictly true. lower rate springs need a damper with more bump and less rebound. so if you uprate the spring you end up with too much bump quite ofter but not enough rebound. when you say "crashy" it helps to keep this in mind. too much bump makes the bump bumpier! and too little rebound struggles to control the body on the way back down leading to a bouncy and pitching ride. Also it can cause a lot of noise over a succession of bumps.

max0

I think its the springs that give the car the crashyness after doin a seach and reading some posts, others have found these crashy and have changed them.

They are the same make springs that i got, i just got the springs (for about £30 from euro car parts) I wasnt expecting much at that price - we lowered the beam when doin the refurb so i got these to level the car out.

I think there the correct springs for the kit as well.

Henry 1.9GTi

i use the 25mm (ventura springs) drop for road and track. Its great :wacko: u wont be dissapointed. Theres better stuff out there obviously but for the money they are spot on. Cant talk from experience but everything ive read just says dont fit the streetline rear shocks. Ill see if i can find a pic side on to show.

fulani
i use the 25mm (ventura springs) drop for road and track. Its great :wacko: u wont be dissapointed. Theres better stuff out there obviously but for the money they are spot on. Cant talk from experience but everything ive read just says dont fit the streetline rear shocks. Ill see if i can find a pic side on to show.

Oh, that's good to know. Cheers! :excl:

Sign in to follow this