• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jim21070

Hot Air Intake

jim21070

My GTi runs a standard air filter but like many I guess, the bracket that supports one end onto the top of the exhaust manifold has long gone and I made up a new bracket that bolts to the top of the cylinder head.

I'm very consious of the need to keep the intake air as cool as possible but recently after a good run I note that the air filter can and inlet manifold are extremely hot. I guess the heat from the exhaust manifold gets passed to the air filter can and heats up the intake charge.

Should there be a heat shield under the air filter can to keep some of the mainfold heat away? I have never seen one or any evidence of one on any other GTi.

If there was never a heatshield, has anyone tried fabricating one?

futura

There was never a heat shield, and considering how close to the head the air filter sits, I do not think the shield would work very long once the engine is hot :D

Edited by futura

hengti

i've never seen one either, but can't see it being too difficult to fabricate one. not sure you'd see much difference though.

Sign in to follow this