• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

306td Brakes

timmsy19

i know it has been covered before but was wondering if somebody can point me in the direction of a guide or a good topic that has been posted before???

is it the same princible as the guide on the main site.

from what i unnderstand the hubs are the same as the 1.9gti ones so should be a straight fit???

calvinhorse

in my expeirience you need londer bolts to attach the calipers because they need to be spaced across about 4mm. but once the pads are worn down abit you can remove the spacers

i just used thick washers

and you need 15" wheels

timmsy19
in my expeirience you need londer bolts to attach the calipers because they need to be spaced across about 4mm. but once the pads are worn down abit you can remove the spacers

i just used thick washers

and you need 15" wheels

sorry for sounding thick but is that spacers on the hub? or on the calipers?

ive got some 15" speedlines.(well my brother has them at the mo)

has anyone got any idea of costs and where im most likely to pick the whole lot up from

calvinhorse

cost id say 50-60 quid for calipers £5 for bolts to hold calipers to hubs

your need new discs and pads really about £30 for discs and the pads are £25 for frodo which is a jump from base model ones at £14 but they are twice the size!

by spacers i mean to go between the calipers and hubs to move them out abit to meet the disc, otherwise when you tighten the wheel the disc tightens against the caliper and wont move! you deffinatly need longer bolts as the ones for the 306 will only go in 2 threads.. not good!

but the 306 brake are absolutely amazing for the money but expect a little bit of wasted pedal movement!

Jonmurgie

Lets just get one thing straight here... the OP has said 306TD brakes in the topic title which are the same as the 1.9GTi anyhow. Calvin is assuming he means GTi6 brakes... yes?

Perhaps it needs clarifying before the thread goes too far :)

calvinhorse

nope i mean dt brakes as fitted to my car

Jonmurgie

oh right, strange then... you don't need 15" wheels to fit 306TD brakes as they come with 14's as standard then, only the GTi6 brakes need 15's hence my question :)

calvinhorse
oh right, strange then... you don't need 15" wheels to fit 306TD brakes as they come with 14's as standard then, only the GTi6 brakes need 15's hence my question

ok thats fair play but 1.6 gti wheels wont fit that i am possitive or saxo 14" steelies

Jonmurgie

That's odd about the 14" 1.6 GTi rims as I saw a set only yesterday on a 306TD parked up near my house?!

Still, I've not tried it so have no idea... my experience here is going from the standard brakes and 14" alloys on my 306 DTurbo up to GTi6 brakes and 15" Speedlines :)

calvinhorse

well i have tryed 14" gti wheels and they rubbed on the flat side of the wheel i could of ground the caliper or alloy down to make it fit.

that is speaking from first hand expierience

calvinhorse

anyway this isnt a 306 its a base model 205 with different hubs??????

timmsy19
well i have tryed 14" gti wheels and they rubbed on the flat side of the wheel i could of ground the caliper or alloy down to make it fit.

that is speaking from first hand expierience

could i mainly be to the fact of the diffrence between the SMR and Speedline alloy wheels as its the same case wit hthe 15" version but with bigger brakes????

calvinhorse
could i mainly be to the fact of the diffrence between the SMR and Speedline alloy wheels as its the same case wit hthe 15" version but with bigger brakes????

possibly yes but i dont have the wheels anymore to verify.

pug_ham

Cheap brake upgrade topic.

I've seen 306 DT's with 1.6 GTi alloys on, but like Jon said that could be due to the brand, Speedline or SMR.

Graham.

timmsy19

cheers for the link Graham just what i was looking for.

Graham

calvinhorse

i have a public apology to make.. damn it here goes..

what i currently said about dt brakes is bollox!! i actuall had s16 capilers and dt discs so the caliper needed spacing and the discs where not using 10mm of pads!! how silly!

but now i have s16 discs and calipers on my base model using no spacers and 267mm discs k-k-k-kick ass!!

sorry for my misleadingnessness!!

calvin

Sign in to follow this