• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Where To Position Petrol Swirl Pot?

Jonmurgie

We had a look this weekend on where to locate the petrol swirl pot, additional fuel pump and the fuel filter. A few locations seemed to make some sense and these were as follows:

Behind the drivers seat like so:

pic374.jpg

Behind the drivers seat facing a different direction like so:

pic375.jpg

As above but with the filter the other side as the fuel pipes will be running down the passenger side of the tunnel:

pic376.jpg

Or everything up on the boot floor in the centre:

pic377.jpg

pic378.jpg

It's this last position that I think I'll be going for as it's neat and the intention will be to put an alloy box over the top of the lot incase of any leakage etc. as I'm starting to worry about having so much fuel and hot oil in the boot area!

So, any thoughts from the Motorsport guys on this?

Cheers

Jon

petert

I don't think any will pass as they're all inside the same cabin/space as the driver. I've seen them mounted in the engine bay.

Jonmurgie

It doesn't have to pass any motorsport regulations though, it's not a competative car :)

I've seen them in the boot (PowerStation race Impreza for example) and in the engine bay (hilclimb GTiR) and I just thought it would be easier to do it in the boot...

TT205

I got mine fitted last week - works an absolute treat :o Just raced it 2 days running

Before had to run 3/4 full now I can run between zero and 1/4 (haven't tried any lower than this)

For some reason your pics aren't showing for me, mine is under the car where the spare would go, I can take a pic tonight if you want

Dave

PS Did you hit a kerb to get it on two wheels like that or are you running slicks?

Edited by TT205

jackherer
now I can run between zero and 1/4 (haven't tried any lower than this)

well, keep us posted cos if it works with less than zero petrol I'm getting one ASAP :o

Jonmurgie

Cheers Dave, not sure about those pics not showing but they are on my site: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

Essentially I'm putting it all IN the cabin, I can't see how you can run it outside?

smckeown
Before had to run 3/4 full now I can run between zero and 1/4 (haven't tried any lower than this)

At Anglesey we were running 1/8 of a normal tank with no fuel surge. Cheers PeterT :o

Cheers Dave, not sure about those pics not showing but they are on my site: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/rebuild.asp

Essentially I'm putting it all IN the cabin, I can't see how you can run it outside?

I'd set the car up with motorsport in mind, otherwise you'll kick yourself if you do try hillclimbs or sprints. Also it will widen the audience if you sell it on if it's prepared with more motorsport regs in mind. Lastly, the motorsport regs are there fore a reason, so i'd run as little fuel items as you can in the cabin. Where is your battery going also ?? anywhere near fuel tank ?

Rob Thomson

Will be fine for motorsport as long as it's got a reasonably well sealed ally box over it.

Dazza

Jon .worth thinking about fuel in the cabin imo its not to be done as the risks out weigh the gains i would mount it under the boot floor and make a guard to protect it against being hit and its also cooler under there .

Some one i know has one of the cars Twin VR6 turbo engine's where your lookin and that was a good idea untill it blew apart showering him with seriously hot engine oil at 140 mph ....he now has a baffle between him and his new VR6 Turbo 750 bhp twin engine's

dazza

Jonmurgie

I've seen plenty of track cars with internal fuel pipes and alloy fuel tanks sat on the boot floor... I'm gonna stick with putting it inside the car in an alloy box, and may even go with a bulkhead over the boot seeing as there is the dry sump tank there as well :D

TT205

Jesus - you want to try taking pictures under a car, in the dark, when you can't see the viewfinder (and even if you could it would be black!)

Right then, here is my set up - needs tidying up a bit and needs a shield to protect it, but functions perfectly well. In fact it's pretty groovy - you go round a tight righthander and then you hear the pump frantically topping it up for a couple of seconds :)

Because I couldn't see what I was doing I don't have 1 piccie thats shows everything so look at both!

This pic 'almost' shows low and high pressure pumps!

post-132-1158651844.jpg

this shows pot does dangle just proud of rear beam (height wise)

post-132-1158651949.jpg

Hope this helps mate

I really really really wouldn't want all this lot in the cabin with me - think about it :blush::D

Also being at the back of the car - if I knock it off - it's instantly behind me

Dave

TT205

""" now I can run between zero and 1/4 (haven't tried any lower than this) """

well, keep us posted cos if it works with less than zero petrol I'm getting one ASAP :blush:

Top man LMFAO - missed that first time :D

16v205

Mines been inside the car for a year now and although there has never been a problem it was only put there in a rush. Was never supposed to be in the cabin for that long and ill be fitting it under the boot floor soon.

Rich

24seven

What do they actually do?

Miles

A quick tip is you can use the VW Golf one, Mk2 16v from memory, pump and pot built into one and fit's under the boot floor very well, Just need a lift pump.

Jonmurgie

That's an interesting idea there Miles... will look into that a little I think :)

What do they actually do?

The idea is that the 205 suffers fuel starvation usually from around 1/4 tank or less (on track this, not heard of issues on the road as less corning speeds). Using a swirl pot is where the pot is kept full of fuel and feeds the injectors, as it's a tall thin pot and the fuel return comes back to there with an overflow back to the main tank, this means there is ALWAYS a flow of fuel whatever the conering forces etc.

boombang

You can have it all in the car so long as unions and fluid carriers match up to regulations.

Whats the problem it being inside the car if protected and using correct connection?

How often does a union fail? next to never - and if properly torqued and good quality chances even less. Now put it into a car rather than below where it can get caught and you've suddenly got a nice safe system.

Bear in mind petrol really needs heat + spark + compression to go, and lots of it.

I clipped a curb at Anglesey years ago - basically the top of start finish straight fell off the kerb into a hole and really shook the car - the beam must've been mm from hitting but it was fine - fuel cut-off did what it said on the tin, but car was fine - imagine having a tank of fuel hanging down?

Edited by boombang

16v205

I used the original 205 pump to fill the surge tank. Because the tank returns directly to the tank through the fuel pump the tank isnt under pressure. A 405 fuel pump works perfectly to supply the fuel rail and are plentyfull in scrappies :)

Rich

boombang

If you need a 405 Mi16 pump (unsure if its the same as other 405 pumps), I have one spare from scrapping my Mi.

Just pay the old p+p and I'll send it Jon.

Jonmurgie

Cheers guys, as you can see by my pictures in the original post I actually have all the bits, just need to order some pipe which I'm doing today :)

cybernck
If you need a 405 Mi16 pump (unsure if its the same as other 405 pumps), I have one spare from scrapping my Mi.

Just pay the old p+p and I'll send it Jon.

yep they're exactly the same across the range, from 1.8i to T16 :D.

p.s. you could have mentioned this last week... :lol::D

boombang

I take it you wanted it and I could've put it in with the handbrake :lol:

I will have a full list of stuff up got sale soon honestly!

Jonmurgie

Just to finish this thread off, I ended up going for the boot floor like so:

pic510.jpg

pic511.jpg

Pipework going in this weekend :D

Sign in to follow this