• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

Ater Removing Laquer.

Guest BrainFluid

Here is a bad laquer patch. After some gentle persuasion good paint is hiding underneath...

14-09-06_2220.jpg

Has anyone got any advise about taking the laquer off, the area where the bad meets the good?

Also what Kind of laquer should I purchase for the re application of aforesaid laquer?

Am I spelling laquer right btw? :(

steve@cornwall
Here is a bad laquer patch. After some gentle persuasion good paint is hiding underneath...

14-09-06_2220.jpg

Has anyone got any advise about taking the laquer off, the area where the bad meets the good?

Also what Kind of laquer should I purchase for the re application of aforesaid laquer?

Am I spelling laquer right btw? :(

Have had varying success removing laquer with light sanding using scotchpad and cream-cleaner!- but beware of rubbing through paint too. For flaking laquer try a scrape with the side of an old credit card etc. I think the professional line is "respray is the only option"! so don't expect it to be easy.- Good luck.

Guest BrainFluid
"respray is the only option"! so don't expect it to be easy.- Good luck.

Thanks!

I would have thought that a coat of laquer would be easy to put on, compared to a totall respray of the roof?

I wouldnt mind having a go myself with a can of laquer or two. hmm I've got a sneaky feeling that I may not know what I'm talking about here...Do I just take the roof back to the paint and re-laquer, sounds simple but..?

How much would it cost to get the roof laquered up? Or If we went the whole hog...How much for a full bonnet-roof-tailgate respray?

Nate.

hengti

Nate, as for quotes, I think it boils down to the old adage of 'you get what you pay for'

the lacquer on mine's had it too; I had a quote several years ago for about £800 to cut everything back/respray/re-lacquer - that was just for the tailgate and roof (which would've needed blending into the sides of the car)

that was approaching what the car was worth at the time, so i didn't bother. it's probably about twice what the car's worth now, so i'll definately not be doing it!

that said, you'll be able to find someone quoting much lower - maybe around the 2-300 mark - but 'you get what you pay for'!

Cheers, Henry

Guest BrainFluid

lol! I just dont get it...

I think I'm just going to have to go with my own cahonies with this one and just give it a shot myself.

Rub off the crap laquer , remove any grease, give the whole panel a re laquer then T-cut and wax.

What Laquer should I use again?

Nate.

steve@cornwall
lol! I just dont get it...

I think I'm just going to have to go with my own cahonies with this one and just give it a shot myself.

Rub off the crap laquer , remove any grease, give the whole panel a re laquer then T-cut and wax.

What Laquer should I use again?

Nate.

just go with whatever your local factor has in a can

Sign in to follow this