• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Fitting Eccentric Top Mounts

kate205gti

i got my top mounts delivered today (yay!) but im not quite sure how they go together - or if im missing anything :huh:

this is what ive got:

13092006110oy9.jpg

and this is my setup atm:

mounts6yt5.jpg

mounts5yu0.jpg

mounts4mk6.jpg

mounts3vv0.jpg

mounts2rl6.jpg

a couple of ppl have mentioned pointy spring pans? do i need these? and what bits do the top mounts replace please in what order?? :P

any help much appreciated!! (have a track day at anglesey on sunday - oops :))

:)

smckeown

this is a pic from SGr's site that did my leda's with eccentric top mounts. No idea if it's any use to you...

suspension2.jpg

Sean

Jonmurgie

You have the same top spring pan as I did and it worked like this:

shocktop1.jpg

shocktop2.jpg

shocktop3.jpg

I think your just trying to use too many of the bits, bin ALL of the standard stuff and start with your spring top mount and build from there :P

Some more pics that may help:

shocks.jpg

shocks4.jpg

kate205gti

thankyou v v much for pics :) :)

my springs sit too far down the shock (theres a big gap!) so I need to wind them up a bit first i think to meet the spring pan :P

also need to shave about 1/4 mm off the spacer sleeve to fit down the strut top - fingers crossed this works!!! :huh:

taylorspug
thankyou v v much for pics B):(

my springs sit too far down the shock (theres a big gap!) so I need to wind them up a bit first i think to meet the spring pan :ph34r:

If the springs are coming off the spring pans on full droop, then you need to invest in some helper springs, as shown HERE.

They are springs with very little rate, designed purely to fill the gap between the main spring and the top of the shock when the suspension is on full droop, so the spring does not dislocate from its platform. They squash completely flat once weight is re-applied to the shock. And for road use means it will get through an MOT! :(

Jonmurgie

Worth pointing out though, you have to work out carefully your desired ride height and choose the relevant spring and helper spring length... adding a helper spring will precent the main spring from dislodging but will also add a few CM's to the ride height... just thought I'd mention it :ph34r:

philfingers

It's common with PTS units (looks like what you have) that set to std ride height that on full droop the springs will be 'loose' between the pans. This is normal and while not 'right' it is acceptable. I spoke to both (from memory!) AB Motorsport and WMMS I think and they both said it was ok. You can run helper springs if you want. I haven't run mine on the road and during rough road rallies for four years (10k) with no problems. I'm also running eccentric top mounts. I set them so they are pointing towards the gearstick if you like. Viewed from the front OS is at 1.30 position and NS is at 10.30 position (if this makes sense!). Mine assembled slightly different, using a T spacer top and bottom into the bearing with a std strut nut on the top (think it's std anyway). You would be advised to run reinforced strut top plates too. Also you will probably need to grind a little of the inside of the large hole away where the strut come up through the strut towers. Fill the bearing with lots of grease to keep the water out!

kate205gti

thankyou very much for all replies :) i printed off all the pics and put them together as per jon murgies ^^ :) i also managed to get the sleeve nut widened so it now fits all the way down the shaft (flush to the spring pan) instead of stopping on the thread as it did before:

13092006113bu8.jpg

the only problem now is theres a gap between the sleeve and the top mount when the top nut is put on tight:

13092006114ua5.jpg

(no pics of it with the widened sleeve coz my phones gay and run out of battery again :()

can i just put extra spacers in to take up the gap?? (the eccentric mount can move up and down on the shaft about 1/4-1/2 inch atm) if so im assuming after the spring pan is the only logical place? :huh:

need to fit it back together tonight! meeep! :P:(:ph34r:

philfingers

Your top nut and spacer should be tight against the top and bottom of the bearing. If you've had it machined so it can slide over the smooth part of the shaft then I think this is wrong, it should stay on the threaded part. It will be unsafe and certain MOT fail I'm sure. I'm sure also that the top spring pan shouldn't float up and down the shaft but should be fixed by the threaded part at the top, but I could be wrong about this. Are these PTS bodies and whose top mounts are they?

Edited by philfingers

kate205gti

thats what i thought :P would i be able to add an extra spacer above the spring pan below the spacer that goes into the rosejoint??

they are bilstein PTS coilovers with gravel spec springs from motorsport parts in braintree, the eccentric top mounts are from combrake :ph34r:

tom_m

your spring pans seem to be a lot further down on the threaded bit than they were before, and compared with the others shown :ph34r:

Jonmurgie

I think you have the wrong inserts then, they are clearly for standard top mounts and not eccentric mounts :ph34r:

kate205gti

The inserts came with the eccentric top mounts from compbrake thou :ph34r: im confused! :P:huh:

philfingers

Yes Kate you probably could use a spacer (tube) to go between the top of the upper sping pan and the bottom of the lower insert. This would allow you to tighten the upper insert down tight onto the spherical bearing. If in doubt give Stephen at compbrake a call, I'm sure he would be able to help you out. But I think the tube spacers would be a quick and safe solution, from what I can see anyway (that my disclaimer!). Try the 205 challenge forum or the technical section of www.britishrally.co.uk too!

SPGTi
The inserts came with the eccentric top mounts from compbrake thou :( im confused! :D:(

The inserts are the bilstein bits ie the tube that fits in the strut body with the thread at the top. You used to be able to get inserts with different amount of thread at the top. Long (lots of thread) for eccentric mounts short (with less thread)for std mounts. It looks like you have the short. Now they only make a long insert which you then use an adaptor to use std mounts.

Maybe ring WMMS, Shenpar or AB motorsport, explain the problem and see what solution they suggest.

Steve

philfingers

Sorry Steve, it's a bit confusing, the inserts I am talking about are the bits that go into the spherical bearings. The extended nut thing and small collar, maybe shouldn't have refered to them as it's confusing with the damper inserts. Take a look at the following site Kate, http://www.wmmotorsport.com/acatalog/p205-fnt-susp.html

SPGTi
Sorry Steve, it's a bit confusing, the inserts I am talking about are the bits that go into the spherical bearings. The extended nut thing and small collar, maybe shouldn't have refered to them as it's confusing with the damper inserts. Take a look at the following site Kate, http://www.wmmotorsport.com/acatalog/p205-fnt-susp.html

Sorry I was referring to Jons post followed by Kates :( confused reply. I understood what you meant.

Steve

Pt2051900tdic

Hi

I have bought a pair of that top mounts, and one of them make a terrible sound, it moves up and down! Anyone whit this problem?

MartinR

Guys

Does anyone know where i can get............ (if its possible)

Standard spring pans as my brothers ones are fewked

Eccentric spring pans for standard springs and shocks (i appreciate that this might not be possible)

I hope I have used the right terminology, I am after the bit that goes on the top of the suspension leg with the three threaded studs poking out of it and then that is secured to the suspension turret using 3 11mm nyloc nuts.

Many Thanks

Martin R

Sign in to follow this