• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ledders

Strange Front Wheel Rubbing (driver Side Rhd)

ledders

Hi wondered if any of you mechanical geniuses can help as I am baffled!!

I have a 1.9 1992 205 gti.

The probelm is when cornering (turning left only) at medium pace, or go round a roundabout slowly, There is a strange rubbing sound from the front drivers side wheel, it sounds like the tyre is rubbing, with a slight knocking sound!!

any help our suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Things I have changed so far trying to solve the problem!

cv joints new/the drive shafts/lower profile/tyres stub axle

Thanks Martyn

taylorspug

Its not the tyre catching the plastic guard on the inner arch is it? Check it for rub marks. :lol:

ledders
Its not the tyre catching the plastic guard on the inner arch is it? Check it for rub marks. :lol:

No the looked for that the car is lowered by 25mm but has standard 1.9 wheels and have recently put lower profiles i.e 195 45 15's, the really strange thing is I had two new tyres on the front and in the process they swtiched the alloy's over the rubbing switched to the other side aswell!!! but if it was damaged surely they wouldn't have been able to balance it?? If anything it seems to be the outside?

Thanks for your suggestion, I really appreciate the help.

Guest MiamiBlueOli
No the looked for that the car is lowered by 25mm but has standard 1.9 wheels and have recently put lower profiles i.e 195 45 15's, the really strange thing is I had two new tyres on the front and in the process they swtiched the alloy's over the rubbing switched to the other side aswell!!! but if it was damaged surely they wouldn't have been able to balance it?? If anything it seems to be the outside?

Thanks for your suggestion, I really appreciate the help.

could be the balancing weights catching on the edge of the calipers? My 205 makes a rubbing/knocking noise when I reverse with a bit of left (i think) lock on and it is the platic innner wheel arch cover that does it, I know you don't think it's this but it's worth checking

ledders
could be the balancing weights catching on the edge of the calipers? My 205 makes a rubbing/knocking noise when I reverse with a bit of left (i think) lock on and it is the platic innner wheel arch cover that does it, I know you don't think it's this but it's worth checking

I will check it out tonight, I am no expert so thanks for taking the time to reply.. I suppose as you will already no having a pug you always think the it goin to be a big expensive job never somthing simple I have my fingers x'd. thanks Ledders

ledders

guys I appoligise and bow down to your excellence it was indeed the plastic wheel arch was cracked around one of the securing screws and looks to have been rubbing..... Further to that it has restored my faith in my glorious drive.. thanks martyn

Sign in to follow this