• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trickywoo

Wishbone Balljoint

trickywoo

Had a go at replacing the wishbone as I think the ball joint is shot. Got the two nuts on the rear pivots off (not too much bother except the rear one was 18mm on both ends and a git to get at with a socket, did'nt have an 18mm spanner!).

Got the nut off the ball joint (yippie). Its easy now thought I. WRONG!

Looking at the new part its only a straight metal shaft about 1-2cm long. How can that be held so tight? I levered it, pounded it and pulled it. Did'nt budge at all!

Got into a right mess as I pulled the drive shaft out of the gearbox in my efforts. Went back in OK after the initial panick! Topped up the 'box oil. Its not leaking or making any horriable noise, so think I got away with it. :(

What I'm saying is if someone will do this for you on a ramp for £20 its well worth it.

boombang

Usually you can just put a lever of sorts into the slot at the back, bit of a push and the balljoint drops out!

You did pull out the bolt didn't you?

Rippthrough
Usually you can just put a lever of sorts into the slot at the back, bit of a push and the balljoint drops out!

I just undo the bolt, pull it out (you did do this didn't you?) and whack the wishbone down with a mallet, works everytime?

-Phillip

P.S. - For £20 I'd do them all day long if I could!

Edited by Rippthrough

taylorspug

They get a bit corroded in there sometimes, bit of WD40 and a sharp hit with a big hammer onto the main body of the wishbone sorts them out, then just lever them out as already mentioned. :(

Ahl
I just undo the bolt, pull it out (you did do this didn't you?) and whack the wishbone down with a mallet, works everytime?

Thats the best way to do it I think.

Its more of a pain in the bum than levering the clamp open, but those clamps oval quite easily and then you need a new hub! (Hub knuckle to be precise, but who wants to seperate the hub anyway?)

trickywoo

Feck. No. I thought that the nut was holding the clamp shut! Thats one hard earned lesson!

Sign in to follow this