• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
welshpug

Another Megasquirt Thread...

welshpug

Right then, I have done a search and spent many an hour reading up on Megasquirt and the different setups available and I've figured out that the V3 with built in wasted spark capability is what would be best for my needs.

I basically have a 1.9 8v, that I want to run on megasquirt, simple as that, just to say it can be done and works and to get the most out of the engine as I dont believe the Basic Jetronic system can deliver.

(It might also never happen....)

I have a short list of items that I know I need need as follows -

V3 ecu and loom

coilpack (twin coil 4 output, wasted spark type)

TPS

Wideband Lambda sensor (i think?)

MAP sensor

TDC sensor (unsure as to which to use as the engine does have a TDC sensor but only for diag purposes so I dont know what kind of arrangement it uses)

Intake temp sensor (which one to use I havent a clue)

I guess that the existing engine temp sensor could be used, and the V3 ECU apparently has the capability to controll the Idle controll valve/SAD

and thats it I think :)

welshpug

anyone?

guess i should word my post a little differently.

What flywheel does the 1989 gti use?

and what coils would be suitable?

as I believe all the other parts are either mentioned above or are already utilised by Jetronic.

pug_ham
What flywheel does the 1989 gti use?

and what coils would be suitable?

as I believe all the other parts are either mentioned above or are already utilised by Jetronic.

1989 GTi uses a plain flywheel, you'll need either one from an Mi, late cat equipeed 205 or similar motronid car or a stand alone 36-1 crank puley for the TDC sensor to read from. The Jetronic TDC sensor isn't any good for use on Megasquirt, you need one that like those fitted to the Mi16 or similar management systems.

Coil pack from either any coilpack equipped Pug/ Citreon or the Ford edis system & the air temp sensor can be stolen from an MP3.1, magent 8P or various bosch management Pugs.

The topics below might be useful if you do go this route as Mad Professor has fitted megasquirt to his 8v TT;

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=54873&hl=

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=53111&hl=

TBH its far easier to fit the MP3.1 management system from the 405 or ZX using the ZX 1.9 8v Volcane ecu to get quick easy results.

Graham.

madspikes

You can use the standard water temp sensor, as long as you reprogram the MS, using easytherm. You need to use a different air temp sensor, and not the standard one in the AFM. I have played around with using another standard pug water temp sensor for air temp, it worked but not tottally happy with the results. The norm is to use a GM part, not sure from which car as I've just started looking into this myself.

Mad Professor has some good info on his website if you can find it!

To go with the wideband lambda sensor your going to need a seperate wideband controller. Narrowband sensor can connect directy to the MS, but you cant do that with a wideband, and you need a wideband really.

I started with just running the injection from MS, before going to ignition control. I have got to the ignition control yet, but I'm going to use a Mi flywheel and a crank trigger. Its not too hard to get the car running on the MS, it does take a while running all the extra wiring.

Mad. :(

welshpug

thanks for the replies guys, I'm pretty good at the practical and mechanical side of things but electronics still puzzle me far to easily!

Good thing my mate has recently ditched his job and is at long last starting his HND in Automotive engineering, he has an interest in Megarquirt as well but is handy with the leccy side of stuff :blush: he's aquired a 4AGZE for his Mk1 MR2....

back to the topic on hand, I dont need a Map sensor as its incorporated into the V3 ECU :wacko:

sounds like a 36-1 Trigger wheel on the crank pulley is the easiest option, Air temp sensor as mentioned earlier can be sourced from an MP3.2 car.

Lambda sensor, what kind do I need? one off any car in the scrappy?? (I'm guessing, but I wouldnt neccesarily need a wideband If I had a basic mathematical map already loaded)

As you can guess a Motronic would be the easy ropute but for the hassle involver I might as well go down the Squirt route (I want to do it anyeway so there!)

madspikes

You can use a narrowband lambda with MS from any car, but you far far better off with a wideband something like the Innovate wideband controller if you going to map the car yourself. This is the case if you have a basic map, to get the gains you want your going to need to fine tune to the map. Once you tottally happy with the map you can remove the wideband, but I think most people keep it.

The MS is stright forward to build, just be methodical and follow the instructions, and check and double check as you go.

welshpug

right, I see where yo'ure coming from after seeing the range available from that sensor.

Would V3 be able to run a wideband though, or would I use it as a tool to record AFR rather than a permanent sensor? $199 seems a rather large amount of cash when I can rob one from a scrappie, though what the range would be I dont know.

If I were to Build V3 myself where would I get the parts from in the uk?

I know one guy that builds the kits with a map sensor and wasted spark outputs fitted for £260 fully tested including a basic Loom and software.

SPGTi

Just out of interest are you looking to get MS1 or MS2 with the V3 board?

Steve

SPGTi

Have a look at this link

Megamanual

and scroll down the FAQ. You will see that you can get 2 different processors 1 +2 and 3 different PCB boards. The only PCBs used now are v2.2 and V3 though.

From the links you posted it looks like MS1 on a V3 PCB.

steve

welshpug

righto, still does what I want it to though!

Would I be better off building it myself or buying it pre-built? Considering I can get a built unit fully tested with a Base mathematical map already calculated I'm erring towards the build unit.

madspikes

Using the MS software a base map is easy to put together and download to the ECU. If your using non GM sensors your going to need to reload the software anyway to deal with using different sensors.

If you can follow instructions and can solder then building one is easy, takes about 10hours. There also more time needed to build the wiring loom. Basically you pays you money and makes your choice.

:ph34r:

jackherer

building it has the advantage of teaching you a lot about how it works...

welshpug

well, i know the principle of how it works, its just that I'm very dubious about my abilities of assembling one without it going through the nearest window when I get frustrated!

anyone want to knock one up for me?

I'm pretty confident I could hook it up and get uit running but not the actual assembling of the unit :)

Edited by welshpug

Sign in to follow this