• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mishu

Central Locking Sound

mishu

Does anyone else get a strange sound when they use central locking? Mine is a 1990 with (AFAIK) factory-fitted central locking 1.1 GR.

Ever since we've had the car (13 years), I can hear a pretty loud humming/brushing noise every time I open the driver's door (well, every time the battery is in). It lasts about one second and everything seems to work fine, but now that I have taken all the trim/seats out of the car, I was wondering whether there was an easy fix to it.

Thanks!

Jonmurgie

Sounds normal... it's not like modern quite central locking, and I think most of the noise is actually the boot lock :wacko:

mishu

Ah, so that's how it's supposed to work. I'll just leave it as is then. Thanks!

jim21070

Yes, it's normal!

If you dismantle a Central Locking Motor you'll find that is just what it is, a motor driving a gear train and a band clutch that drives a rack in and out to lock/unlock. Unlike modern solenoid types.

If they are very, very noisy or whirr for a very long time and only very slowly operate the lock they are on their way out.

They can be repaired but they are a royal PITA to do. They are also very expensive new...

Edited by jim21070

Sign in to follow this