• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

205/55/15 Tyres

Dan Ingram

Will 205/55/15 Tyres fit on 15" speedline rims??? and if so will they rub when on the car at all???

Thanks in advance

Ingy

jackherer

195/55s rub on the rear valence and 205/55s will be worse.

steve@cornwall
195/55s rub on the rear valence and 205/55s will be worse.

Yes they fit....and will soon tell you if your beam is suspect as they'll rub on the inside with the slightest camber.On the slightest bump in the road they rub like hell and drive is terrible!Fitted some s/h ones off an alfa (near new at £7 each!) and they looked great but were ditched at the first opportunity

Guest RickGTIBaker

TOO TALL on 195 or 205, 185 is the only width to go for.

Stick with 50 or even 45's, 55's make it a soggy feel.

jackherer
TOO TALL on 195 or 205, 185 is the only width to go for.

Stick with 50 or even 45's, 55's make it a soggy feel.

not quite sure what you mean there?

the standard size is 185/55-15 but 195/50-15 is the size most people fit to 205 1.9 wheels because they work so well. 195/45 is also fitted by a few people.

Guest RickGTIBaker

185/55 is standard, so the width isnot too bad away from the rim.

on a 205/55 the width away from the rim will be wider, and they'll be lots of tyre wall bend.

205/45/15 would be a plan, but personally, 205's are too wide.

195/50's are choice, and cheap too.

Guest RickGTIBaker

tyres.jpg

Hope this helps....

As you can see on the 3 sizes, the 185 tread is slightly less wide as the wheel is deep, the tyre wall creates a rigidity for the handling as there is less flex and movement.

The 195 has more verticle sidewalls, still quite solid but there is more movement and less rigidity in them. imagine building a playing card tower, this rule is why you dont stack them in squares, but in triangles. The tyre shape isn't a triangle, but less square, so less movement, and the tyre thread keeps on the road across the tread.

The 205/55 however, has ALOT of movement, so rather weak. This also makes the tyre way flex alot and wear out quicker than the other 2. More so over the 185/55. Also the tread may wear out unevenly on the outer bead area's, as the centre would concave in towards the wheel.

That help ya? :D

jackherer

I understand tyre sizes, its just that your first post sounded like you were dismissing 195s entirely but I think I can see what you were trying to say now.

Guest RickGTIBaker

195 are spot on, 195/55's are a no no really, still too tall.

I use 195/50/15's on my 205 GTi, feel spot on.

Sign in to follow this