• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mishu

Instrument Panel Swap (1.1 Gr -> 1.6 Gti)

mishu

I finished cleaning up under the bonnet yesterday, and now I just can't stop. I took an instrument panel from a 1.6 GTi I've been keeping in the shed for a while and took my instrument panel out.

As expected, the plugs didn't match. :(

I tried fitting them as best I could, but when I turned the ignition I only got some very weird readings (obviously not the right order), so I switched it off and took it out. I assume I couldn't have done any damage, since they're all working with 12V so everything should still work fine, right?

I kept the entire loom from the GTi, thinking it might come in handy one day (when I decide to swap the instruemnt panels, for instance), so I started following the wires there. However, they're pretty tangled, there has been a short in the past where a purple wire has melted and is now practically glued to about a dozen other wires, so I don't really know what to do.

I removed all the other wiring from the fuse box as I don't intend to use any other part of the GTi loom, but now I'm stuck. I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me, I don't know where to go from here. B)

In case the loom can't be used, I'm thinking of using the guide on the main site about the dash to solder the wires from the base plugs into the GTi plugs and use that. But I'd need the base plug diagrams for that.

Here are the pictures:

Base (current) dash front rear plugs

GTi dash front rear fuse box and loom loom detail (plugs).

cybernck

i'd say it's very easy, having tested and modified a dash a few days ago.

the guide on the website is spot on with the wire numbers and their functions.

you just need to get right the +12v and ground for the illumination and the same for the dash instruments.

those are connections B3, B4, B6 and B8 from memory.

as for the rest of wires, just match the numbers and colours, they *should* be the same as on the car.

p.s. no need to solder (at least a number of wires), as you can take them out of the plugs.

hope this helps :(.

mishu

Great, I might not need to untangle all that mess after all then.

I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams in Haynes, hopefully they'll match what I have.

But what about the rev counter? I didn't see a plug for it in the base loom. Does it have a spot in the fuse box I can plug into?

Thanks

Edited by mishu

mishu

I've tried to take out the GTi instrument loom from the fuse box, but I can't see how one would do it. There are wires running everywhere, it's not a 'simple plug and play' task (for me anyway). There's also been a short in the loom so a purple wire has melted and is tangling everything up even more.

So, I'm now trying to match up the base wiring with the GTi plugs and then plug those in.

I looked at the guide on the main site (really helpful to know which wire does what), and I got the numbers for all the wires on my base loom (might have some errors, it was dark). Anyway, here is the wiring I'm probably going to be doing:

yellow plug

D1) The guide says diesel only, so it won't apply here

D6) Fuel level sender is 65 on the GTi, closest match on my loom would be the (also blue) 55, which might be 65 (couldn't see the number properly, will check again tomorrow)

D8) Ground from A5

blue plug

C5) Direction indicator light, left -- I don't have anything resembling that. On the current panel, I only have an indicator light for both directions, that may be the reason I can't find it. Anyone know which one it is?

white plug

A1, A3) I don't have any wires coming out of these. They're marked as oil temp. warning light in the guide, so I'd really like to know what to do with them.

green plug

B1) Anyone know what this is? Mine doesn't have a wire coming out of it.

B2) A red wire (13B) on mine, no match for the other loom and guide doesn't say what it is.

B3) Instrument lights. I didn't see a 25 on my loom.. anyone know which one it is?

B9) Again, one indicator light for both directions on the base loom, anyone know which one it is?

rev counter

I didn't find the matching numbers. I have the loom leading to the fuse box, can I use that? If not, where can I find the needed wires to plug in?

Also, there are a lot of wires left unused on the old dash if I switch to the new, but I'll check Haynes tomorrow, I'm too tired to do it now (after drawing all that). Of course, if someone had a diagram for the base dashboard, it would simplify things :wacko:

---

I'd like to get started on this as soon as I finish putting most of the dash back in (I'm taking it out tomorrow to clean up everything behind it). Thanks!

Edited by mishu

DaveW

i know wire 112 is the rev counter...

cybernck

A1 and A3 indeed light up the oil temp light (in the upper right corner)

but since there's actually no sensor on the engine that would send this

information, they're not used :wacko: so you can leave them disconnected :D.

B1 and B2 are not used either, though B2 lit up an odd light (doors open

signalisation) on one of my dashes (in the upper right corner of the rev

counter, which is normally a K-light), so i guess you don't need that either :(.

B3 is, just as i said earlier, +12v, that you can wire through a dimmer

to be able to dim the dashboard on long motorway journeys etc.

as for the indicators, if i got you right, the base model dash only has

an indication of indicator working, not which side? you could connect

the two pins to the same wire i guess and still have it like that, or do

some more thinking and measuring and get it working somehow else.

rev counter (the instrument itself) only actually uses 3 wires out of

those 4, and since you've got one and the other beng ground, you

somehow need to replicate the wire #112 which comes from the coil

on gti models.

p.s. good job with the drawing and please take some pics as well,

so you could make a little guide for doing this job, to help out other

people in the future :).

thanks.

timmsy19

........ Awaits full guide :wacko:

Good job sounds like its coming along nicely.

are you changing the whole dash or just the instuments and surround??

mishu

cybernck: OK, I'll document everything. I'm going to an electrician today to get some clamps to remove the stereo. He used to work at Peugeot, so maybe he can supply some more info on the wiring. I'll take lots of photos for the guide, sure.

Yes, that's right, I only have a light to tell me when the indicators operate, not which one it is. Maybe the electrician will know what my loom wires mean, that'll help clarify things.

timmsy19: I have a lot of dash bits from the GTi I stripped (see here), so I might just swap the entire upper part, seeing how mine is a bit worn (and the GTi is also a nicer shade of gray).

Edited by mishu

DaveW

ive done the loom change but its hard to explain on paper but easyer when its all in front of me if you know what i mean, btw what year is your 205?

Edited by DaveW

mishu

It's a 1990 1.1 GR. I know what you mean, DIY-ing is much easier when you're the one doing it.

Any help would be appreciated though, maybe you know what some of the unidentified wires in the diagrams are for? That would be most helpful.

Also, are the wires from the 1.1 loom long enough? Some wires from the first (leftmost) plug will have to go all the way into the last one (rightmost), I fear they might not be long enough. What then? Did you solder anything?

How did you manage to get the old wires out from the GTi plugs? I've tried using a screwdriver, but didn't want to press on as one plug was starting to warp (the plastic bit).

cybernck

connectors in the plugs have a, sort-of, arrow shaped bit at the top, preventing them to be pulled out easily.

you need something really thin pointy to press this, while twisting and pushing/pulling the connector.

a bit hard to do, but once you get one of them out, it will become clearer :(.

Sign in to follow this