• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Moys1.9

Rear Brake Valve Snap!

Moys1.9

after a successful engine rebuild my pug sounds perfect. Only a few problems. When bleeding up the brakes the bleed valves looked ancient and had to use mole grips to twist them. The first attempt at bleeding up the brakes failed miserably but before retrying I got some new bleed valves. Swapped three and then got to the final one ( rear passenger side) And the sodding thing snapped :( . I tried tapping a screw driver end into it but that snapped off in the end. Any ideas for getting it out?

Apart from that I'd completly re-assembled the engine and was right up to the last rocker cover bolt and guess what. Thats right it snapped off in the head So its p***ing out oil.

sonofsam

Know how you feel mate,MOT is just around the corner for me..managed to snap a suspension top mount stud fitting a strut brace and round off one of my locking wheel bolts all in one afternoon :(

A pukka ring spanner should be good enough on a bleed nipple added with some WD-40, but them f**kers

can get seized.mole grips will only round them off for next time they need bleeding, what method were

you using by the way?

You can buy an eazi-out tool to remove the busted nipple, but for all the fannying around you may aswell

fit a second hand caliper with known good bleed nipple.

huxley309

Got this problem myself and the only real fix is to drill out the old nipple and use a tap & die size M8

When they round off i use an angle grinder to flatten each side and a mole grips tight as you can

Lots of penetrating oil such as plusgas wont go amiss neither

Edited by huxley309

Owain1602

You probably wont be able to drill it then use a tap because if you drill it out you'll wreck the original thread, so you can only tap in a larger size than the original thread. What you'll be able to do is helicoil it.

We have just got an Induction Heater in work and its amazing. It heats metal up by magnetism so there's no flame and its lightening quick. You simply put the torch on where you want to heat and push the button to start heating. Its cherry red in 2 seconds and the metal isnt actually hot, i think he said 60degrees. Its brilliant for heating where access or things like rubbers are close. Brilliant on bleed nipples and the stupid track-rod adjustment on the new VAG cars.

Moys1.9

Magnetism? :wacko: Thats cool :D

Think I may just get another caliper. I've got a brand new valve to stick in it at least.

Sign in to follow this