• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

I Hate My Life

eob

I've always loved my 205, but of late, I've come quite close to burning it down, which is a shame because it's a lovely Phase2 1.6 non-sunroof in white with everything slowly coming together to make it a masterpiece. Everything that is, except the engine.

Essentially it blew the rear top waterpipe and in the process of removing it, I removed the AFM and the car hasn't run AT ALL since. Starting the car with the AFM disconnected means it'll kinda-run, if very rich, with the AFM connected it'll just splutter and conk out. A skilled driver will get some RPM out of its gutless self and bunny hop a few feet before getting out and throwing the wheelbrace through the windscreen.

I thought it was the AFM, changed it [at great expense and thanks to Ben Allen] still nothing.

Then the constant starting-attempts fried the starter, so while I'm attempting to rescue el-GTi, can any of you help before I kill myself or my car in desparation.

(I'm not kidding here)

Either that... or I'm buying a Cinquecento Sporting and nobody here can stop me.

welshpug

engine coolant temperature sensor? it'll be the most likely culprit, apart from the brown connector that wuld have been covered in water what with the hose bursting.

i guess youre getting a decent spark?

ANDYGON

what happened to the bargain 309 that you had?

dont kill it. im sure you brought it for a few beans.

have you checked dizzy and plug holes for water?

eob

I bought it for like £700. I spent 4 days sitting the boot stripping off the spray on adhesive some Max Power muppet had used to stick SuperMegaBassCarpet everywhere. 4 days with nothing but a can of engine degreaser and a toothbrush for company. I love this car, but I am about 15 seconds away from killing it and borrowing my mothers car so I can drive to the nearest multi-story car park and jump off, listening to 'Peter, Bjorn & John - Young Folks' on the way down. Don't worry, I'll try to land on a Honda.

Anyway, engine coolant temperature sensor you say? Anything else I should look at?

This is probably a good time to mention that I stupidly plugged in the AFM while the engine was running (doh!) which means I may have fried the ECU.

PS. I still have the 309, it rules! I sometimes go out first thing in the morning and eat my cereal in the drivers seat, laughing manically. There are also rumours that it may have been driven up and down my road at Mach5 without tax or insurance or NCT(MOT) but you know rumours... ;)

steve@cornwall

maybe stating the obvious, but have you checked that all the afm wires are actually plugging into the afm, and not been pushed out of the plug when re-connecting?

ORB

Have you tried kicking it and calling it names?

i find that this helps with most problems (mainly the wife)

inferno

trust me... throwing a ratchet through the windscreen may feel good at the time... but following it up with poking screen with crows foot/punching kicking and hammering wings/jumping up and down on the bonnet... really doesnt do much other than give u a sore fist, large mess, and a waste of money!

thats from experience!;)

today i only punched the toilet door once... much cheeper but i got splinters!

did u get water in the afm or anywhere neer the dizzy wires?

Baz

;) FPMSL!!

Have u tried another Ecu i take it after frying the current one?

d-9

im guessing some wires have come disconnected somewhere, most likely the ecu temp sensor (blue 2 pin sensor near the dizzy) or like someone said, the afm connection is dodgy.

nick

If it sprayed water everywhere when the hose blew, start with the basics. Remove and dry out/replace dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads, plugs etc..... a lot of ignition components are in close proximity to that hose so I would say one of those is the culprit.

Also check that the s/plug holes aren't full of water, this will cause the spark to track through the plug, to the cylinder head and stop the spark dead.

Nick

boombang

works on dogs too.

ALEX
Either that... or I'm buying a Cinquecento Sporting and nobody here can stop me.

My mate had one of these, Don't buy one or you WILL end up killing yourself.

My girlfriends 1.1 106 graduate was faster. Cinquecento Sportless more like.

It has a rev guage though whooo. :lol: .

Someone went into the back of it while it was parked outside his house and got paid out by the insurance.

I'd never seen anyone so happy ;) .

Sounds like you've knocked a connection off or something. I did this changing a timing belt and was giving symptoms like yours.

It turned out that the ignition amplifier plug had come half off. Took me ages to find it.

It was wierd though as the car ran fine in reverse ;) .

bitchass 205

Do you want to here something funny to ease your woes!!??

Well tough.

I was giving my car a service and had taken the leads off the s/plugs, couldn't get them out so i decided to clean the intake manifold with a bit of clilt bang, bloody good stuff actually, anyway when i went to wash it down i threw a bucket of water over it. Wasn't untill i had another go at getting the a/plugs out that i realised that i'd completly flooded all four holes. I nearly cried!!!! :P:wacko::wacko::wacko:

It was ok though, stuffed some kitchen roll down there got the plugs out wd40 and bobs your mothers brother!!

brianthemagical

carrying on with the funny(ish) stories. the first week i had my car i sorted out insurance and cleaned it. on the sunday after buying it i thought i'd look at the engine. looked at the spark plugs and put them back then decided to look at the filter. when i put ti back together and tried to start it up it wouldn't run. after a week of turning it over a hell of a lot and having a mechanic confused by it, and £100, it turned out i knocked the temp sensor off.

the following week the starter went so after not being able to get the inlet manifold off i took it to decent garage to get that and the cambelt changed. two weeks and £600 later i had it back, the day before my £400 alarm was to be fitted. glad i had saved before i bought the car.

a 205 gti without an engine problem and runs right is not a 205 gti, or very expensive and it's definatly worth the trouble for the smile that you get.

eob

Grrrr... Just cut my fingers in pieces fitting a Peugeot 305 diesel starter and all it does is spin aimlessly, which is a pity because it's marked Mitsubishi, it'd be nice if I had at least one Japanese part in this piece of sh!t. Tried every connector in that general area and no luck. I'll fit the AFM/ECU from the 309 GTi tomorrow and see what happens. If it's still borked, I'll presume the engine has had it and crush it with my fathers work JCB.

Peace.

eob

Ok, much hassle later I have a new starter motor in, which required rewiring the battery, etc, as the previous owner broke a lot of the connectors doing the same. I've also fixed the horn, and am in the process of fixing the rad, etc.

But it still won't run. I'm presuming that if I swap the AFM/ECU out of my 309 GTi and stick them on, the car should run if it's the ECU that's faulty?

(Ie. a 309 1.9 ECU will run a 205 1.6 engine, if a little rich?)

futura

if it's a 115bhp engine it will run on a 309 1.9 ECU. If it's a 105bhp i am not 100% sure since the tachymetric relay wiring is different.

eob

Well, after much faffing about, swearing, and throwing tools, it turned out to be the little breather hose from the inlet pipe between the AFM and the inlet manifold. It's the one that goes to the oil filler. It had popped off due to my cack handed spannering which means the car wasn't sucking air through the AFM but through the side of the inlet hosing.

Bought an AFM in error but, nnyyaaa, it'll keep.

Major thanks to the usual suspects for talking me through the possible causes. While I was rummaging around in there I fixed the starter motor, the vacuum advance hose, the radiator, the inner wing hose, the fan, the horn, the lights, the earth point behind the lights, the airbox, and found another dozen or so things that need fixing...

Aren't Peugeot's great? :)

ALEX

What! you stopped finding faults?

I've leant to let things develop untill they need changing now.

You should do the same, unless oil stained driveways are your thing and you get a kick by grazing your knuckles.

Sign in to follow this