• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dino

Mi16 Oil Pressure - Too Low

philfingers

Dino- what is this oil return line from the back of the head? Is there any info/ threads on how to do this. I read the thread a while back about this but at the time it wasn't proven.

Sweetbadger- Is the XU10 engine the GTi6 engine then? Does the petert solution, the extended pickup then need welding to your own oil pickup or is it a bolt on thing? Where's the best place to pickup an Xu10 sump?

My only concern with this route is that as I use the car for road rallying the increased depth of sump is going to sit too close to the sump guard. Car doesn't sit that low but don't fancy wrecking the sump!

SweetBadger

Just digging this thread back up as I finally got round to fitting the xu10 sump this weekend.

Sweetbadger- Is the XU10 engine the GTi6 engine then? Does the petert solution, the extended pickup then need welding to your own oil pickup or is it a bolt on thing? Where's the best place to pickup an Xu10 sump?

Yes you can use the sump from a gti6 although I think the S16/iron block MI16 also use the same sump.

You can bolt the pickup extender on although petert recommends welding it. I've bolted mine on as can be seen in the piccys below, only problem being that you have to grind away some of the pickup with a dremel or similar to allow the bolts to sit properly on the top of the pickup. I only used five of the possible 8 screw holes to hold the extender to the pickup as the others looked too awkward to fit (risked grinding through the pickup trying to get enough area to sit the bolt heads on). Pickup extender fits nicely with just the five screws and a bit of sealant though.

Anyway some pictures of the extended pump (the rust is there because the bloody shed roof leaked and filled the sump with water which had the oil pump in it! :) ).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/swee...er/CIMG0007.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/swee...er/CIMG0006.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/swee...er/CIMG0009.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b49/swee...er/CIMG0008.jpg

This was done using a dremel and a hand drill so I'm sure with some better tools you could make a neater job of it!

Other things to note are that:

The MI sump uses 4 longer socket head cap screws whereas the gti6 sump only uses 2, so you will need 2 extra standard sump bolts.

The 2 longer bolts which go under the AC compresser bracket will not be long enough when using the spacer plate, so you will need to drill out the 2 XU10 sump holes (12 mm bit) by the depth of the spacer plate so that the original bolts fit or use longer bolts.

Finally you will also need to get hold of a later type oil temp sensor as the earlier one has a different thread (most annoying as I'm going to have to drain the sump again when I get hold of one!)

With regards to ground clearance the sump does sit noticeably lower and could cause a problem if you're rallying with it, I've not had chance to measure the exact clearance but for road and track use on standard or mildly lowered cars it should be ok.

smckeown
Finally you will also need to get hold of a later type oil temp sensor as the earlier one has a different thread (most annoying as I'm going to have to drain the sump again when I get hold of one!)

You can swap an oil temp sensor quickly and only lose a small amount of oil

saveloy

Sense of humour

For me, one of the most under exploited and neglected areas within language learning is humour. How many course books have a section on humour? How many syllabi include the ability to tell or understand a joke? Yet understanding the sense of humour of a people is a key element of understanding the culture and language and perhaps even more importantly of developing relationships with people from that country.

Sign in to follow this