• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
notamondayfan

Going To Look At An Engine

notamondayfan

hey all,

a lad near my parents is breaking an s16, so gonna have a look this weekend.

what i wanna know is what should i look at? any tell tail signs of wear?

were there any different makes of s16, regarding bhp output, and other stuff?

also, can you run the s16, like you can with an mi, using the dizzy and 8v loom? eventually im gonna use carbs, but for the time being would it work?

is there anything else i should consider taking off it?

thanks, deano!

888rmb

There are quite a few bits off a 306 that will fit a 205. I think you can use the trailing arms, front hubs (same as 1.9GTi), front calliper, PAS rack as well if you change the track rods.

As for the engine, you can run that on the dizzy converter as well you might have to use the 1.9 inlet manifold as well.

When you are looking at the engine, it would obviously be best if you can hear it running. If not try and do a compression test if you can get 12v to the starter. As a minimum check the cambelt hasn't broken.

notamondayfan

thanks, will check those things. if any one else has any other advice it would be greatly appreciated :P

thanks, deano!

deejay391

if its running check the 2 x solenoids on ends of injector rail are working, near on £50 each from pug :lol: They work on vacuum and if you push the rods you can tell if the vacuum is working (if not running) ;) [These only need to be working if your using the s16 inlet manifold tho... but you can knock him down on price if they dont B)]

Usuals turn crank make sure no noises, check for signs of leaks, check water and oil no head gasket problems

notamondayfan

are there two types of s16 engine? i think i saw one on ebay, quoting around 130 bhp? i always thought s16s were around the 160 mark?

deejay391

155bhp 130 sounds like it was prob the 2.0lt 16v xsi engine :S

notamondayfan

ok thanks

Dino

plenty of info on S16 engines if you use the SEARCH facility at the top of the page :D

notamondayfan

thanks dino, give you self a pat on the back.

notamondayfan
you can run that on the dizzy converter

jus read an article, and it says you cant run a dizzy on the s16. does any one know for sure (ie, seen it actually done with their own eyes) ?

thanks, deano

Sign in to follow this