• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TaffyTim

Fitting A Baffled Sump

TaffyTim

I have a baffle which I need to fit to my mi16. I was getting miles to sort it but as hes out of action for a bit I thought that I'd do it myself.

Am i right in thinking all i need to do is:

* drain the oil

* remove a few bolts

* slightly modify the baffle (its an alloy sump)

* cleaning surfaces of old sealant

* add new sealant

* refitting with new bolts

Jonmurgie

Sounds about right... I'm sure you'll figure it out once you've started it :)

VisaGTi16v

Make sure its the right one for your sump! I got hold of a 2nd hand proper Peugeot Sport one, placed it into my spare ally mi16 sump and noted that one bit hit the side so thought that would just need cutting down slightly which I thought a bit weird. When the garage came to fit it they had to modify it quite a bit more due to the ribbing being different to the steel sumps off 8v's which it was intended for and they had to make a new dipstick hole etc. All works fine but just be warned incase you find this as well.

LOL Ive now read your reply in full and see that you knew about this but instead of deleting the above i will leave it as confirmation heh and you may not have known about the dipstick

d-9

yeah, but you forgot the "repeat 3 times because its still leaking" part.

VisaGTi16v

I don't follow? Are you suggesting mine leaks due to having to modify it a bit to fit? It hasnt used a drop of oil this entire season and ive done 7 Sprints so far and driven to all of them :D No drop in oil pressure when cornering on my new slicks either so its done the job I wanted it for. I suppose you mean its tricky to seal the sump back on right. If so another tick in the box for why I didnt try and fit it myself and let the garage do it heh

Edited by VisaGTi16v

Baz

No i think Doug means re-fit the sump 3 times as it still leaks after re-fitting!! Judging by his recent sump sealing problems mentioned to me yesterday!!

TaffyTim
Make sure its the right one for your sump! I got hold of a 2nd hand proper Peugeot Sport one, placed it into my spare ally mi16 sump and noted that one bit hit the side so thought that would just need cutting down slightly which I thought a bit weird. When the garage came to fit it they had to modify it quite a bit more due to the ribbing being different to the steel sumps off 8v's which it was intended for and they had to make a new dipstick hole etc. All works fine but just be warned incase you find this as well.

LOL Ive now read your reply in full and see that you knew about this but instead of deleting the above i will leave it as confirmation heh and you may not have known about the dipstick

Yeah miles had said about modifying the baffle, I was planning on taking my junior hacksaw to it. Will it be slightly trickier than that (bearing in mind im pretty useless under the bonnet)?

I had not heard of the dipstick though. That sounds tricky.

Why are the sumps such a pain to go back on, and what sealant is used?

matty_gti

on the 'sump' topic, when fitting the spacer for the 1.9 (never done it because ive only had a 1.6) does it go

1. Block

2. Spacer with 2 bolts and that small allocating pin

3. gasket

4. sump

Is there no silicone sealent between the spacer and block?, Please correct me if im wrong...

d-9

yeah you need sealant to go between the spacer and the block.

Its worth getting everything as clean as possible, I used a knife to scrape the old gasket/sealant off the block and then 1200grit sandpaper to finish it off, no leaks so far fingers crossed (this time).

matty_gti

ok cool, hopefully no leaks when i do it :D

philfingers

Whats the best baffle to use. TaffyTim is it a genuine PTS baffle kit you're using? If so where did you get it and any chance you could get some pics of it once you have it fitted please?

I've just got an MI to go in my road rally 309 and am a little concerned about all the oil surge issues I'm reading about!

Phil

petert
Whats the best baffle to use.

XU10 sump, XU9 spacer plate and extended pickup.

philfingers

Pete is this sump deeper than the std Mi one? Does it come with a baffle kit or do I still need a baffle kit on top? Does the extended pickup come off the oil pump on the XU10 and bolt onto the XU9 unit. Which cars where the XU10 fitted to, are they easy to find in breakers yards or are they cheap enough to buy new? Sorry for all the Qs but need to figure out all the costs before I make a decision which way I'm to go!

petert

All the alloy XU10 sumps have a factory trap door baffle. They are the same total depth as the Mi16 sump + spacer. Adding the spacer to the XU10 sump makes the whole package 15mm deeper. This allows you to run 6.5L of oil, keeping more oil around the pickup and keeping the oil temp lower. To make use of the extra depth, the pickup needs to be extended.

I sell the pickup extensions:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=878

A further improvement, is to also fit the S16/GTi6 windage tray. I also make these:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=642

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=641

Here's the factory XU10 sump:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=638

Hope this helps.

huxley309

So am i right in thinking the windage tray is welded to the mi spacer and helps to prevent oil drag?

Edited by huxley309

petert
So am i right in thinking the windage tray is welded to the mi spacer and helps to prevent oil drag?

It's screwed to the modified spacer plate and yes, stops the crank picking up the oil.

TonyGTI
All the alloy XU10 sumps have a factory trap door baffle. They are the same total depth as the Mi16 sump + spacer. Adding the spacer to the XU10 sump makes the whole package 15mm deeper. This allows you to run 6.5L of oil, keeping more oil around the pickup and keeping the oil temp lower. To make use of the extra depth, the pickup needs to be extended.

I sell the pickup extensions:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=878

A further improvement, is to also fit the S16/GTi6 windage tray. I also make these:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=642

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=641

Here's the factory XU10 sump:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ype=post&id=638

Hope this helps.

Peter,

How do go about buying these from you and how much, or is it more realistic to get the work done in the UK?

Tony

pugrallye

dunno why peole have probs with sealing sumps, trick is to not overdo it, nor cover the sump bolt holes, as you may actually cause hydraulic probs when winding bolts back in and crack the block (happened once or twice)

TaffyTim

From reading previous threads there are a couple of different ways and a few different opinons on fitting the right baffle and sump.

I am in no place to say which is best as I have never had one fitted before, so please do a search and see the different opinons for yourself.

The baffle that I have is a propper baffle that fits inside the sump and not just a couple of bits of metal welded into the sump.

Below is a pic of th baffle (sent by the seller) its not fitted yet so im not able to give pics of its install.

Price paid for all who are thinking of this was £120.

Baffle.jpg

VisaGTi16v

Same one as mine if you look at my links from the other day. Peugeot Sport one. You will need to trim a couple of bits if its going in an ally 16v sump as they are intended for the 8v ones and possibly drill a hole for the dipstick as well if on a mi16 but other than that they are good and ive never seen pressure issues and im running on cut slicks so fairly high cornering loads

Edited by VisaGTi16v

petert
How do go about buying these from you and how much, or is it more realistic to get the work done in the UK?

Modified XU9 spacer plate & S16 windage tray - AUS$220 exchange

Oil pickup extension - AUS$45.

Completed Oil pump extension, welded to your pickup - AUS$85

philfingers

Taffytim what are you putting this into, a std Mi sump or the XU10 sump? Indeed will this fit the XU10 sump? Where did you get it from please?

TaffyTim
Taffytim what are you putting this into, a std Mi sump or the XU10 sump? Indeed will this fit the XU10 sump? Where did you get it from please?

I got this from cookiemonster off this site, he had 2 so this 1 was a spare. Its going into an Alloy Mi16 Sump so will need the modifications that VisaGTi16v just listed.

Im not that technically minded so hopefully someone else can advise if this fits into the XU10 sump.

Miles

The baffle is a old PTS one or the best copy I;ve ever seen as all the holes are round, It won't fit the XU10 sump as it's deeper, Unless you find one of the older 1.6 PTS baffles which match up fine, but you'll need to remove the trap door which I wouldn't do just buy the french trap door baffle set up.

Sign in to follow this