• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Diy Mi16 Turbo Manifold

M@tt

Just picked up a copy of PPC and was reading the article about the scrapyard bmw turbo and how they cobbled together a turbo manifold for peanuts.

What are people opinions on whether doing something like this for a mi16 would be worthwhile/practical/functional?

I'm know these wouldn't flow anywhere near as well as a custom built tubular one or the proper cast shape one but i know i for one certainly couldn't afford to fork out £500 plus for a turbo manifold if i were to go down the turbo route at some point so this looks like it would be up my street even though its a bit heath robinson :)

So i suppose what i'm wanting to know is if you cobbled something together like this would it have that much of a negative effect on performance that it would totally negate the effort of fitting a turbo in the first place?

I'm the first to admit that i know very litttle about forced induction and I've done a search but not come up with much about the importantance of exhaust flow in forced induction cars.

Here are a few pics for anyone that hasn't seen the article

PPC DIY effort

diyturbomanifold2.jpg

diyturbomanifold1.jpg

Genuine Pug Turbo Manifold

DSC00288.jpg

Cheers

Matt

M@tt
yikes thats ugly as fook!

:) certainly is

That other manifold is way beyond my capabilities/access to facilities mine would probably stretch to that ugly box one above :D

welshpug

have a look at the dutch guy's efforts, a simple but effective approach, a load of bends and a few straights welded up to create a well flowing replica of the original T16 manifold, the box arrangement wount flow very well at all.

TEKNOPUG

It will flow well enough to drive the turbo, so that's all that counts. Sure, a properly tubular, equal lengthed manifold will give you more power, but a homebrew certainly won't negate the turbo!

Henry Yorke

I am all for cobbling up a turbo manifold to whack on and enjoy. Then if you find that is the most restrictive bit then replace it if you seek more power. I can assure you that mounting a turbo is actually the least of your problems (well it depends of the quality of your welding eh Matt!!). The hard parts are lowering the compression, getting the fuelling right across the rev range and controlling engine bay heat.

8v is easy as 205parts do replica of the old turbo technics manifolds, or better still the much shunned 2.0 turbo manifold does the job too up to a couple of hundred bhp and will fit your 1.6 CTI engine.

For 16v turbo power, things get a bit more tricky as it is either custom or 405 T16 inlet really. However stick turbo torque on 8v torque and it does make you smile!

It depends what you want really, big bhp or that kick in the back feeling that 16v's can only really give with loads of revs and cams.

A bottle of nitrous may be a cheaper option though on a 16v for the turbo sensation.

An after thought (and slightly off topic) but an 205 STDT is a 1.8 XU engine I think and so is a 306 DT. Do these manifolds fit a GTI engine?

welshpug

P4280062k.jpg

P4280077k.jpg

how's that for a cobbled toghether exhaust manifold :)

this is the page that details the manufacturing process but its in dutch, I got the gist of it though as I know a little dutch, and all you really need is to look at the pictures!

http://www.205gti.com/main_uk.htm

Edited by welshpug

M@tt

yep but as i said above i really think that's out of scope of my skills etc trying to get that all accurately put together is 10 times harder than that simple box effort :)

Henry Yorke

The Pug one does look a simple box effect too and I know a T16 near me that runs 280 bhp so they can't be that bad!!

welshpug

looking at it closer it does appear to be a large collector feeding into the turbo, but it does still have 4 primaries leading into it rather than the simple short tube straight to a box affair,

here's a pug one in place on an engine, guess who was the seller for this particular unit!

T16-exhaust-manifold-4.jpg

pugrallye

trouble is fabricating tubular manifolds, home brew ones dont tend to be very durable, although cast ones can be made as one offs if your handy at sculpting! just ask you local foundry, bespoke cast items are cheaper than you think

Henry Yorke

I seem to recall that 205parts were going to get some cast from a T16 manifold. Not sure what happened about this?

cybernck
here's a pug one in place on an engine, guess who was the seller for this particular unit!

who? :)

Guest ashnicholls

That manifold looks like its been hand carved from rock.

Really not pleasing to the eye.

M3Evo

Function over form every time!

I gather that Toby's car goes pretty darned well with it on! :)

pugboyracer

Yep, by all accounts its a bit of a beast! Lots of info on it on e30zone.co.uk :)

Dream Weaver
Function over form every time!

Hear, hear :)

Malachy

i have been looking at converting my 306 cab turbo (using megasquirt) to 16v recently and have too been looking into manifolds, now i have found a company that seem to make manifolds VERY cheap.(£120 for an mx5 turbo manifold)

i orderd my new fmic from them and will let you know the quality of it wheni recieve but it seems very good. however they have no peugeot manifolds listed but i am sure if we can supply the dimensions they wil lamke some up.as a comparison on price

Honda civic equal lenth turbo manifold for b series engine.

dp engineering £504 roughly

xs power £249

however they also do a non equal length for 160

i think it will be worth getting some measurements and writing them some emails :P

anyone got a 16v manifold and want to measure it?

pug_ham

Nothing wrong with how the oe Pug manifold looks, hardl;y as if much of it will be visable in teh already cramped 205 engine bay. Admittedly a nice tubular one looks lots better but that one will do as a starting point & if you decide to look for serious power a tubular one can be added (with difficulty) at a later date.

An after thought (and slightly off topic) but an 205 STDT is a 1.8 XU engine I think and so is a 306 DT. Do these manifolds fit a GTI engine?

I'd have to look at one soon as I wouldn't like to say without checking, the TD head isn't a cross flow like the GTi but looking at the back of the GTi head there are plugs so it might be the same head casting.

Graham.

welshpug

i bought a Diesel turbo and manifold for an XUD9 on ebay last week and will be picking it up tommorow morning, i'll measure the stud and port spacing for you then as the design of the two manifolds is very close (one port at each end and a pair in the middle)

Kev-G

Use an adaptor from the std. manifold to the turbo (abit like a link pipe)....Hard part (port spacing etc.) has already been done @ the factory. Getting the pipe upto the turbo + then the downpipe into the space might be more difficult..

welshpug

:) derv manifold wont fit - pic

(edit: pic too large, see forum guidelines)

Edited by jackherer

M@tt

i've been thinking about this some more and i think i'll definately have to create something like the bodged PPC effort unless i can find another one more reasonably priced(resonably = cheap!!)

I've thought about but utilising an existing Mi16 exhaust manifold chopped down, that way i'd have the flange and all the pipe work bits ready and just need to fabricate some sort of collector item for them to feed into and for the turbo to attached to, piece of piss when i put it like that. :D

Anyway i suppose i should start thinking seriously about it seeing as i won this on ebay last night :D

TD04 turbo from a scooby

03_2.JPG

Edited by M@tt

welshpug

blimey! that'll be a little large.....

T16 can run 350bhp on a T25!!!

I've got myself a T2 from a derv pug to have a got a low blow turbo conversion sometime in the future (i've got myself a TT 5th injector controller cheap too :D )

Guest Ray205S16
blimey! that'll be a little large.....

T16 can run 350bhp on a T25!!!

I've got myself a T2 from a derv pug to have a got a low blow turbo conversion sometime in the future (i've got myself a TT 5th injector controller cheap too :D )

A friend of mine uses the TD04 on his 1.9 8v, and has a 218 hp and a lot of torque,

believe me.....it's not to big! :D

grtz, Raymond

Sign in to follow this