• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

Diy Mi16 Turbo Manifold

M@tt

i was going to say i thought £170 sounded like a cheap price in cmparison to othersbeing offered and therefore something is probably amiss about the quality :wub:

So are people sayingthis one above is suitablefor a 205?

pugrallye

I bought a bargain?! tubaular manifold once... well bargain it was 400 quid, but under half price of a known good quality one, and it lasted a month before the welds let go

M@tt

Pugrallye you're right, sadly paying alot of money is never a guarantee for decent quality :(

My whole approach to my 205 is "try it, and if it desn't work it, f*** it, start again" (not very catchy :wub: )

So i my thinking is if i can find a suitble reasonablpriced approriate manifold great, otherwise why not have a bash at a homebrew?

Guest Sentic

If you own a welder, then why not try? I built this manifold for my xu9jaz turbo without knowing how to weld :D I learned by doing. It's working fine for me.

The splatter and bad finish is due to weldig without argon with special thread instead (I do not have a garage so I am welding my bits on the lawn ;) ) and that it had been mounted for some months before i removed it for a slight rebuild of exhaust and IC-pipes.

oh yeah, compared to my earlier setup with an adapter on the original manifold, this spools faster and gives me more power.

871-20060709_011704.jpg

and here is a picture of the fabrication:

871-20060714_155129.JPG

the collector is the tricky part :D

links to the pictures:

http://www.p-s-c.se/bildarkiv/pics/871-20060714_155129.JPG

http://www.p-s-c.se/bildarkiv/pics/871-20060709_011704.jpg

Edited by Sentic

adrian_gti

very interesting thread :D

cant see your pictures sentic.

I have a spare turbo off a STDT, do you think this could be used for a low boost turbo upgrade on a 1.6 CTi keeping the CR as normal? sorry if thats a really stupid question... :D

Guest Sentic

the dieselturbo might work, but you might get bad sealing in it due to the temperaturelevels on a gasolinesetup and the fact that the turbo isn't made to withstand it.

As long as the wg-clock is set to low boost you should be fine, I am not sure what CR tha 1.6 has, but if it is under 10:1 you should be safe running 0.3-0.4 bars.. If you want to live life on the risky side maybe even 0.5-0.6... Just watch out for knocking..

Edited by Sentic

M3Evo

Wow, that manifold looks wicked Sentic! :D

I've got a 9.7:1 compression ratio and run about 0.5 bar at the moment, although it's been up to around 1bar and it wasn't a problem, although it's currently pegged back as the injectors aren't big enough to support more boost ;)

Don't reduce the CR if you don't have to, you can avoid knock etc. with good mapping (as long as you don't go mad with the boost), so do get a programmable ECU :D

Edited by M3Evo

Guest Sentic

m3evo >> thanx =)

It is as equally lenghted as it can be (i do have a space problem) :D, the runners differs under 10% in length :D

9.7:1 and 1.0 bar? is that the bmw? they are sturdy!

btw, i like your 16v turbo build, the throttlebodies seems sweet ;)

Edited by Sentic

M3Evo

Certainly keeping the pulses seperate until they reach the turbo should help the spooling, unfortunately the manifold we came up with for the Mi16 isn't equal length though :(

Was indeed on the BMW, can't wait to get some bigger injectors so I can turn the wick up again! It's got a boost control solenoid so my plan is to ramp the boost up in the mid range and then tail it off to about 10psi for the top end in an attempt to get over 300-310bhp :wacko:

Think I might rig something that stops the boost going over 7psi in 1st gear though to try and protect the drive-train a bit :D

Guest Sentic

that might be wise :) but on the other hand you'll just break it when it grips in second then :D

Sign in to follow this