• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mickie

Car Wont Start

mickie

i've just finished re-building my engine today, everything was fine and the car even started first time

http://media.putfile.com/first-start-up-18

went in the house to have some tea and when i come back out it wouldnt start, i noticed my fuel light wasnt on at the dash so i unpluged the wires on the fuel pump then put them back in, the light came back on but still no joy, i took a spark plug out to see if that was fine and i have a spark but when i took the fuel pipe off the fuel rail their was no fuel coming out when i turned the car over, i also cant hear the fuel pump..

am i right in thinking the fuel pump has stopped working ? and if it is that, it is fixable ?

TEKNOPUG

Could be the tachy relay or any wires in between. Do you have another Xu engined car to swap parts with?

mickie

i only have my one car there

Rob_the_Sparky

Get a meter and check for power to the pump. That will tell you whether it is a bust pump or a lack of power to it. There are a number of electrical items that couls stop it as well as the pump itself.

Rob

mickie

reading through the site im convinced its the tachymetric relay but im still confused about where it is..

rhdz.jpg

drh.jpg

is it any of these ? ive looked next to the ECU but cant fine anything apart from the ECU, am i not looking properly ?

i wanna get that techy out and take it apart so bad :wacko:

travill

It will be some where near the ecu in the dash hole bit, the relay is black and could be floating about if it isn't attatched like it should be?

steve@cornwall

I'd undo the fuel pipe at the rail and see if it pumps fuel on cranking before taking the tachy. apart, though- think they're about £40!!!!

welshpug

£30 from GSF, though I got mine off ebay for £15.

If its an earlier car it can be in the engine bay just in front of the battery tray

mickie
I'd undo the fuel pipe at the rail and see if it pumps fuel on cranking before taking the tachy. apart, though- think they're about £40!!!!

i've already done that dude

"i took the fuel pipe off the fuel rail their was no fuel coming out when i turned the car over"

cheers travill, i'll have a look tomorrow, i couldnt see it though but as you say hopefully it'll be there somewhere

"If its an earlier car it can be in the engine bay just in front of the battery tray"

its an F reg, 1989, when i turn the engine over i can hear a click coming from around the ECU so that should be the techy i cant find ?

Edited by mickie

welshpug

yup!

mine is bolted down with the r/h bolt that also holds the ecu down.

steve@cornwall

i've already done that dude

"i took the fuel pipe off the fuel rail their was no fuel coming out when i turned the car over"

:wacko: long day, "g'night"

mickie

found it, it was behind the ECU at the bottom

relay4.jpg

sorry for the quality, i had to take it on my phone because my fujifilm camera doesnt like close ups

i think theirs a bit of the copper strip blown apart there :)

relay55.jpg

what am i like

Edited by mickie

mickie

relayfixed.jpg

i also put wax ontop, thought it may keep it cool ? :) thats just a guess tho..

anyways just fitted it and the car runs sweet as a nut, the engine runs even better on start up and here was me thinking it was the SAD playing up..

thanks a lot everyone, i love this site :lol:

mickie

kggkkgkg.jpg

is there a reason why it poped again

Edited by mickie

jim21070
is there a reason why it poped again

My guess would be there is either too much current being drawn through the relay contacts, perhaps the fuel pump is taking too much current due to worn brushes, or the actual relay contacts are badly pitted, arcing and causing enough heat to be generated to melt the track. Certainly the solder on the relay pins show it's been very hot, nearly enough to melt the solder.

Carefully clean the relay contacts with a small, thin file or emery paper if you can and try it again. It'll likely start working.

I don't recognise your numbers. Bosch Part No. for the relay is 0280 230 006.

mickie

thanks, a mates just told me to buy some stwich cleaner/contact cleaner, it comes in a spray. and solder all the dry joins again, and then while you have the plastic cover off, spray the hole relay then let it dry right out, use a hair dryer to make sure it's really dry then try it again, if that doesn't work it sounds like you're going to need a new relay.. i'll try that, see how i get on

mickie

here we go again, just got another relay off 205parts and it popes again, the relay came off a working car, i put it on mine, worked for 30 seconds then went off, soldered it all back up and it popes again, getting pissed off with it, rang 205parts up and they say there is a problem with the car, they sold me to do some checks

told me something about too much power getting to the relay and + and - should be at some of the points that goto the relay too..

i havent got a clue with electrics...

help an old guy out :(

he told me turn on the ignition with the relay out and test the points, white cable should be what ever voltage and no other cable should have power to them

or atleast i think he said that :|

i just tested the connector block and 3 pins show 12v and the rest show nothing

Edited by mickie

futura

Have you checked that your GND/earth connections are ok all around?

mickie

GND ? im pretty sure all the earths are ok..

i have noticed some cables around the steering wheel that have been tampered with.. but the car has worked fine before with them being like it

is it true only one cable should be live going to the relay with only the ignition on ?

mishu
GND ?

GND = Ground = Earth

Edited by mishu

mickie

im confused, i guess i'll just have to get an auto electrician out..

no-one know at all what voltage the points should be at the relay ?

d7ve_b

I think me and you are having the same problem mate, when (or if) I find out whats causing my issues I'll let you know!

mickie

cheers, think i might rip out my dash to have a better look at things

mickie

i've read through this page http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/archive/Ge...1/Dec/0597.html

and i now understand a lot more of what the relay does and just a few days ago i got another techy relay of 205parts that came off a working car, i started the car up with the cover of the relay so i could watch it and what happened was the solder on the circuit board just over heated/melted then dripped down on the floor so like a few people have said it may be the fuel pump drawing too much current through the relay causing it to over heat and pop the board

so when i get the fuel pump and new relay i'll let everyoe know how i get on :)

Sign in to follow this