• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Changing Timing Belt First Time

DaveK

Is it a wise idea to change the timing belt myself although i have never done one before? Its not on a 205 but on a vectra diesel so there seems to be plenty space compared to the 205.

Dont fancy doing it wrong and knackering the engine but would save me £100 most likely.

I have a haynes which i could follow but what do other ppl think?

Cheers

Dave

jonah

Everyone's gotta start somewhere :ph34r: No reason to think you'll knacker the engine if you work carefully.

Don't know if modern Vauxhall diesels are the same but on the old OHC 8v engines the cambelt tension adjustment was done by rotating the water pump... which was usually impossible (at least not without breaking the coolant seal). If your engine has a separate belt tensioner you should be fine.

Jonmurgie

If you've got loads of space then give it a go... there's nothing special about it just be extra careful not to TURN ANYTHING when the belt is off!!

kyepan

try and make or use some locking pins, some people use drill bits, but others make or buy them, that will keep things in place whilst the belt is off.

Guest BrainFluid

You might be lucky and find out that the vectra has locking holes in the side of the cam sprocket and the fuel pumps sprocket like the Pug XUD engines have, which make it a doddle (as long as you remember to take them out before starting the engine, lol )

Sign in to follow this