• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

Using An A-frame.

Guest BrainFluid

Hey all! I've just scored an a-frame for the most agreeable price of £65, which I'm well chuffed about!

I've always wanted one and I'll be using it in a week or so to take a car about 60 miles (another pug in fact :P )

Now i know how to set it up and where to place it all under the towed car but I was wondering if anyone here had used one before and could give me any pointers / warnings for when I use it?

On the technical side I am wondering if I should wrap a bit of carpet and gaffatape around the place the chains wrap around to keep metal off metal, seems sensible, do ya think?

inferno

no need... just make sure the bars and chains dont catch on the wheels or shafts. make sure the towing socket is central on the car when tightened up. check and retighten after several hundred yards if need be.

REVERSING SHOULD BE AVOIDED UNLESS YOUR VERY SKILLFULL!

A frames are great tools, ive towed several moters with them now, wouldnt use anything else!

Guest BrainFluid

Ha! I'm a bit of a towing God...even if I say so myself...But duely noted inferno. Thanks pal. :P

inferno

yes i spent half hour trying to get a passer by to help me steer an mi16 out of a jack knife when i took a wrong turn!!! :P

Guest BrainFluid

Ouch!

Did'nt fancy uncoupling no?

Mind you its not like you can turn the car on its axis like you can a trailer with 2 wheels...

littlemike

Your limited to a towing weight of 750kg's unless the frame has it's own brakes built in.

Guest BrainFluid

Kerb weight of 790kg is the car I'll be towing, no too far out :)

PsychoSimon

Also watch tighter/faster corners ifyou get my meaning, as the have a tendancy to try and kick the back end of the tow vehicle out if the one being towed is quite heavy in comparison

DaveW

also watch u dont catch the cv gators on it too like a mate of mine did when towing his stdt.

Guest BrainFluid

Cool, tnx for the replies so far guys.

Just had a thought, will the old putting a 'on tow' sign in the back window and leaving the hazard lights on be okay with this method?

Or should I be using an extra tailgate light board?

Were only talking 60 miles, any thoughts?

Guest BrainFluid

Right.

After some research I have discovered thus so far.

Legally my 205 dt can tow 750kg using a trailer with breaks, and 680 kg unbraked (can be found on cars vin plate btw if you dont know).

The car I'm going to be towing is 790kg kerb weight, BUT thats kerb weight so, without its spare wheel, a driver sat in the front and no petrol in the tank I'm Quessing that'll bring the cars actuall weight down to 680 ks at least.

790kg minus 80kg (my weight) minus 10kgs? (the spare) minus 28.08kgs (40 litres lets say, at 0.702kgs per litre)

Equals.......671.92kg Ha Har! I love it when a plan comes together.

Oh....It looks like a tow board would be the safest bet really. And according to the Department of Transport they dont really know how to class it all anyway. The script they are reading of is full of "We belive this" and "We belive that" which according to my lawer friend equate to not really knowing, he assumes that they will be waiting for a case to come to court so they can start with "This is how it is" lol.

Any hoots, I feel like I'm doing everything to stay within the law with this one, even my insurers allow towing on my insurance so...

DaveW

oh erm i towed my 309 home with my 205 xs ^_^ so thats slighty illegal then :D

calvinhorse

try not to turn to tight my mother destroyed my brothers skirts on his hdi revursing it!

littlemike

I'm not sure that the kerb weight of a car includes a driver! The weight of the A frame will have to be included into the weight that you're towing too.

Edit-What car are you towing for it to be only 790kg's anyway?

Edited by littlemike

Guest BrainFluid
oh erm i towed my 309 home with my 205 xs ^_^ so thats slighty illegal then :D

Depends, with an A-frame, most probably! If it was a straight tow I dunno, I aint brushed up on those laws!

Should just add, If your genuinely towing the car because its broken down and needs moving your allowed to tow a vehicle that is heavyer than yours. Apparently this is how the AA and the RAC get away with it.

EDIT FOR LITTLE MIKE: Yup unladen weight is minus fuel, spare wheel ( could even empty the coolant i suppose) and driver (75kg for driver I've now found out) What am I towing? Why a Pug 1.1 of course!

As for the weight of the frame itself, urm, ah... Pardon officer!?

Edited by BrainFluid

DaveW
Depends, with an A-frame, most probably! If it was a straight tow I dunno, I aint brushed up on those laws!

Should just add, If your genuinely towing the car because its broken down and needs moving your allowed to tow a vehicle that is heavyer than yours. Apparently this is how the AA and the RAC get away with it.

It was a tow pole, why yes its broke down :(

Sign in to follow this