• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry Yorke

I Keep Bending My Rear Arch

Henry Yorke

Here is an earlier pic of the arch, which I have tapped back and have since bent again :)

2IMG_7981_Small_.JPG

I know the drivers side has had a rear quarter at some point and it is set a bit further back than the passenger side but I keep getting the tyre catch on the edge and pulling it out. I can't understand how the wheel can move forward :P

It is not stupidly low either nor exceptionally close

2IMG_7595.jpg

I have chaned the rear beam mount rubbers to new Peugeot ones, thinking the beam was swinging forward and this has made no difference.

It is a 1.9 axle running 7Jx15 ET25 wheels with 10mm spacers (so effectively 7x15 ET15) with 195/50/15 tyres. It has new Koni red shocks on it and the bump stops are still there AFAIK. The beam is not bent as it came off a car that had a 309 beam fitted

It does it at slow speed on speedbumps too, not just when I have been giving it beans. Any ideas? Reluctant to get the paint done until I have bottomed this out

Alastairh

I think i may have a similar issue, but tbh my rear sill on the drivers side isn't exactly the best.

But since fitting stiffer shocks and 309 beam (original soft billies) mine looks to have pushed out similar. Dunno if its me putting things in my head, but would be intrested if other people have noticed things.

Alastair

Guest BrainFluid

Wide tyres combined with hand brake hill starts?

matty_gti

ive got 17's on my GTi and that hasent happend despite rubbing away my rear valance, still has to be lowerd though. My 1.1 has got 16's and the rear arch getting opend up like a can of peas has only happend a few times on the odd speed bump :P

If its only happening on one side or you have more clearence one side then your beam may be bent.

Henry Yorke

Sort of glad it isn't just me!

I think the quarter has been fitted a little further back than the other side, as I am on the third beam on it and all have had the same gap between the tyre and the sill, compared to the other side.

It never seemed to do this with 195/50/15's on standard 6.5J Speedlines, but then again the tyres were a bit more worn.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on mine and I think Al does too. Maybe they have a squarer shoulder and therefore more likely to catch, especially with plenty of tread on them?

steve@cornwall

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

this is the rear arch of my lowered cti, completely worn by a previous owners 16" Venoms (why?) Still rubbed on 15"speedlines with 185/55 15s. The momo 15" with spacers are wider but the 195/45/15 avons make one hell of a difference! no rubbing at all. I notice that yours seems to rub unusually low on the rear panel compared to other pics, so maybe it is more of a panel allignment issue, although both my ctis seem to have turned lips on the arch, not the "Flange" of yours, so maybe turning in the lip of yours would be a benefit?

Edited by steve@cornwall

GLPoomobile

My 1.9 was lowered about 40mm and rubbed (but not bent) the drivers side inside arch. I discovered the reason when I pulled the beam off to scrap the car - no bump stop on that side.

Guest BrainFluid

Honestly. Try parking it on a hill, put the handbrake on, obviously, get out and have a look how close the wheel is to the arch.

Henry Yorke

Maybe the bump stops have lost their err.... bumpstopness! It also doesn't help handbraking it round Curborough all day a couple of Saturdays ago!

I agree with the lipped overness and I will do this when i come to tap it back again. A big flange is not necessarily appealing to everyone as it makes it look well used! :D:);)

taylorspug

Mine did this through lack of bumpstops aswell, as the wheel goes up it does seem to move forward slightly and catch the arch.

I fitted Powerflex items on my GTI which runs 309 beam -40mm, 195/50's and have had no rubbing problems since, even 4 up. :)

Henry Yorke

Well bump stops it is then :ph34r: After the fun M@tt had trying to get them from Peugeot in Sheffield I think I may go for some others.

Taylorspug; where did you get yours from?

taylorspug

Purchased mine from Autofive, came to just under £38 including the carriage. :ph34r:

Ren

How much? Peugeot ones are under £6 a side, I posted the part number a few weeks ago.

taylorspug

Except the Peugeot ones proved to be too soft for me, hence why i went for the Powerflex option. You gets what you pay for and all that...

Henry Yorke

So even with Peugeot ones, I may still bottom it out?

Stew205: do you do anything along these lines? I think Polyeurathene (sp?) is a bit of overkill on these!!

welshpug

urr, yep!

bump stops do exactly that! they dont actually affect the beam in any way but to stop it slamming the shell...

odd that it does rub though, mine isnt anywhere near the front of the arch but rubbed on the valence at the back (not anymore, the bumper mounts were bent)

Edited by welshpug

Henry Yorke

Bump stops do reduce the amount of travel on the rear suspension at the extreme point of load so mine may be travelling just a little too far. I also want to raise it a bit too (not that it is really decked)

Alastairh

this kinda makes sense, as mine fell off i can remember, and i've often got mates in the back from the pub.

may have to sort some out then.

Alastair

Henry Yorke

I think Neal at DES Developments will sort me some out :(

tom_m

hmm, i've run on the deck with 16s and 15s and never had any issues with that particular area. the 16s did rub away the rear valence lip as posted above, but you couldn't see that on the outside anyway.

Sign in to follow this