• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Colin Satchell's 8 Injector Mi On The Rollers.

Sandy

The new owner wanted to have the engine's health checked as it hasn't had a top end rebuild for over 3 seasons now and the bottom end has done 1 and a half. It gave 200bhp@7000rpm at the wheels at the old Emerald site when it was first mapped, but that was a long time ago! We didn't have the ECU cable to adjust anything (owner left it at home) so it was just a power run. The rough spec is 83.5mm 11.5:1 pistons, 88mm crank, 48mm TB's on modified Longman inlet for exteneded inlet length, two sets yellow injectors (standard position and 2nd set in trumpets), enclosed airbox, Mark Shillaber head (pretty basic seats and exhaust ports job with standard valves), JRE1 cams (John Read's old 20XE rally profiles on Mi blanks), home made 4 into manifold to John Read's spec, 2.25 inch system.

Figures at the wheels, these rollers i've found to be pretty conservative! Ambient air temp was about 25-28C (doors closed).

5000 127bhp

6000 166bhp

7000 183bhp

7500 180bhp

Not bad for its age!

petert

That's quite impressive. JeffR has just built a new engine, with similar specs. - 84x88mm, 11.2:1 forged pistons, 48mm TB's, 236 deg. @ 0.050" inlet with 0.440" lift, std. exhaust cam, Motec. On it's initial dyno run it made 115hp @ 5000 at the wheels. I'm still waiting to here the results of the full tune. It might loosen up a bit, but that's 12hp less at that point!

Jonmurgie

Excellent... was this the car featured in the 8 injector article from a few years ago? I've got a copy of that and have been wanting to try the 2nd set of injectors but don't think I'll ever get around to it now <_<

twowheelterror

I'm impressed.

my 309 should be getting an 8 injector setup. I'm hoping that'll liberate a few extra horses up top over the current 240bhp

Daz_C

Have you got any piccies of the engine bay ? I'm interested to know how the outer injectors are seated ! <_<

Sandy
Excellent... was this the car featured in the 8 injector article from a few years ago? I've got a copy of that and have been wanting to try the 2nd set of injectors but don't think I'll ever get around to it now <_<

That's the one.

Here's the only engine bay pic i've got hosted, but it's not much help:

http://www.dcoe.net/gallery/hillclimb/Tregrehan4.JPG

Mounting the injectors in the bodies isn't very safe for road use, the vibration tends to crack the mounts. Colin had this happen on his first set up when returning down the hill, the smell of fuel was a give away and he turned it off to find the whole engine bay covered in fuel! (Pump was on a switch). We made a longer inlet manifold for mine that mounted the dcoe bodies upside down, so the injectors could mount in the bodies a long way upstream and still retain the normal ones. I never used it because plans changed, but sold it to someone on here (sorry can't remember who!)

Jonmurgie

Nope, that doesn't look like the one I was on about... that's a pic of the hill climb car with the coilover rear suspension <_<

I've got the link to the article I'm on about at work, will post on Tuesday :angry:

Sandy

Colin's 205 was featured (in an article by Dave Walker mostly about twin injectors in CCC) about 7 years ago when it was a darker blue, before he rolled it. It has been developed further including turreting the rear but the engine has remained the same aprt from a change of block due to a crack between the liner seats. He's since had it featured in Retro cars, since the rear has been turreted. I know colin and the car very well, no mix ups here!

Sandy

Yep, the very same, but there's been a lot of development on the shell since then, including the rear turreting/coilovers. The graph on that feature is the wrong one, which is a shame! But this engine has guts from low down like no other Mi i've seen.

Bonzai
That's the one.

Here's the only engine bay pic i've got hosted, but it's not much help:

http://www.dcoe.net/gallery/hillclimb/Tregrehan4.JPG

Mounting the injectors in the bodies isn't very safe for road use, the vibration tends to crack the mounts. Colin had this happen on his first set up when returning down the hill, the smell of fuel was a give away and he turned it off to find the whole engine bay covered in fuel! (Pump was on a switch). We made a longer inlet manifold for mine that mounted the dcoe bodies upside down, so the injectors could mount in the bodies a long way upstream and still retain the normal ones. I never used it because plans changed, but sold it to someone on here (sorry can't remember who!)

thats me, i've got it but probably not going to use it now, likewise, plans changed

Sandy

Dammit, just got another one made!

Bonzai

bugger! well it'll be for sale soon i suspect if anyone is intrested

Sandy
That's quite impressive. JeffR has just built a new engine, with similar specs. - 84x88mm, 11.2:1 forged pistons, 48mm TB's, 236 deg. @ 0.050" inlet with 0.440" lift, std. exhaust cam, Motec. On it's initial dyno run it made 115hp @ 5000 at the wheels. I'm still waiting to here the results of the full tune. It might loosen up a bit, but that's 12hp less at that point!

Just read your post again Peter! I think the JRE1 cams are a longer on duration than that, but similar lift.

Jonmurgie

LOL, didn't bother reading back... doh! Oh well, I know where to find the link next time I need id :)

Sign in to follow this