• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest fisherspug

Paintwork Dead

Guest fisherspug

hey guys, jst bought a 1.6 gti, second car, 19 yrs old

bin sat on ma nxt door neighbours drive for about 2 years.

its graphite grey.

bonnet has gone a real matt effect, and the roof is a mess.

what do you guys find the best to restore back to the buiteful colour it was., and in wot order?

iv t-cut the car alredy.

any help appreciated

cheers

fisher

hengti
hey guys, jst bought a 1.6 gti, second car, 19 yrs old

bin sat on ma nxt door neighbours drive for about 2 years.

its graphite grey.

bonnet has gone a real matt effect, and the roof is a mess.

what do you guys find the best to restore back to the buiteful colour it was., and in wot order?

iv t-cut the car alredy.

any help appreciated

cheers

fisher

has the laquer lifted?

you've had it if it has - respray job :D

Guest fisherspug

how can i tell if the laqure has lifted?

Guest BrainFluid

Not a total respray though, just the roof and the bonnet if your lucky. Got a pic of the car?

Just for future referance. T-cut takes off a thin layer of paint so its pointless using it on paintwork that has faded very badly. For example, on my graphite grey roof there are parts showing the undercoat so no point in T cut.

Guest fisherspug

oh i see, ya mine is graphite grey, all other pannels are ok, wow wot a colour!

how can i tell if the laqure has gone, no pics sorry.

it just looks matt and even water and cleanin dont bring it up?

fisher

hengti

the lacquer is basically a varnish that's applied over the colour coats - presume it was applied over all of the different colours - ?

when it lifts, you're left with unprotected paint that goes matt over time, i reckon due to the pigment being exposed to the sun

it shows up obviously on darker cars - i could post you up a piccie of mine later - looks a mess

you can respray the affected panels, but (in my experience) it'll likely be spreading over the rest of the car in the meantime. could be years before you have to worry about it again though.

cr*ppy Peugeot painting basically

SPetrie

If the Car is a 91 or 92 iirc, peugeot changed the laquer to a water based one, which was cr*p!!! My 91 Miami is several different colours now, the bonnet is in fact going white!

Guest fisherspug

cheers guys, ya its 92, could you please post up some pics of your messed up paintwork? so i can compare it to mine. cheers

hengti

pics of mine :

the lacquer has gone completely from the roof panel (the underlying paint is matt); the lacquer is gradually flaking from the edges of the roof, leaving the same matt finish underneath

hatch panel too

top of front wing

basically, the horizontal aspect of most of the panels is losing lacquer. the vertical aspects are fine. the front end of mine was resprayed after the first owner, so the bonnet isn't bad yet.

it's a shame as, otherwise, it's a good (albeit very high mileage) example. i bought the car 7 years ago and the problem was only on the roof panel at that time - so it has taken a while to spread.

there's nothing you can do to stop it - it needs cutting back and respraying, which'd cost much more than the car's worth - i'd rather spend the money on keeping the mechanicals up to scratch.

hope yours isn't as bad!!

edit. having a spot of bother with imagecack - sorry. anyway, you'll just have to believe me when i say it looks a state!

Edited by hengti

NOsMAN

Try some of this stuff called :- QUIXX

It may help. Tried it on my sorrento where the laquor has come off and it works except where the paint has come off.

ORB

T-cut is poo

Go to a panel factors/paint supplier and get some stage one compound fluid.

rub it on with a slightly damp flannel and keep rubbing like crap but dont let it dry out.

let it sit for 30 seconds and rub off the residue with a soft towell.

This will take out all the mimor scratches and other problems, but if the laquer has gone in places your fooked.

Oh, and when compound polishing with stage one be carefull not to burn through the laquer.

slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Baz

NOsMAN, what exactly is it, and does it do? -and where can you get it?

NOsMAN

You can get this stuff from motormania and some other car accessory shops or ebay .

It has 2 tubes . 1 for removing scratches and polishing damaged paint, 2nd gives a mirror shine. but there is also some very special wet and dry sandpaper which is used for removing damaged laquor. 1st remove the laquor with the sand paper.

then polish in with tube 1 and finally use tube 2 and the paint work shines brilliantly.(seems to put a coat of laquor on). Only thing is they dont give you enough of the sand paper :( (4 tiny strips)

Edited by NOsMAN

mattmk1

Unfortunately as said, if the lacquer has died there not too many things you can do, your looking at a repaint.

As Nos Man mentioned, you can sometimes escape with sanding the area with extremely fine paper and re lacquering it, but by the time youve done this you may aswell have had it painted.

We use a trade cutting compund manufactured by 3M which is very effective at restoring faded paint, but it has to be used with a special buffer which i would think only spray shops own. And again, if the lacquer is dead it wont help at all.

Baz

U mean compound such as Farecla/3M as you say and a Mop?? Doesn't always cure it 2bh.

mattmk1
U mean compound such as Farecla/3M as you say and a Mop?? Doesn't always cure it 2bh.

Nothing will cure it apart from new paint, and your right mopping a faded car only really works if you have flat colour - ie no lacquer. But with time and a bit of skill you can make a real difference. You also have to buy the various tubs and work through them to get the best result, the machine polish is a gem.

DSC00585.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

Sign in to follow this