• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
acox99

Mi16 Braking System

acox99

im buying a 405 mi16 and it doesnt fit on my trailer, so im going to tow it on a tow rope, but do the breaks pump out like they do on a diesel?

boombang

not sure what you mean by pump out like a diesel?

The earliest of the Mi16's - 1988 and 89 (E and F reg) - have electric brakes running off a pump. These will not work at all with the engine off. Later cars should work but you won't get servo assistance and it'll be a pig to stop.

At the very minimum use a solid bar.

How far you looking to tow as it may only cost £50 or so for a local recovery place to pick it up - if you are looking at a long distance towing on a rope or bar isn't the way to go either.

acox99

i mean when the pedel goes solid without the engine running, so breaking system runs out. If they are electronic then they should work with ignition on? I havnt got a bar and as its bank holiday its a fortune to get recovered, its about an hour and a half drive.

Anthony

A solid bar costs £15 and is worth that just for towing a car once the sort of distances you're talking about.

Jonmurgie

The brake pedal will go solid and become almost impossible to use without the engine running... car a solid bar as Anthony suggests :D

Rob_the_Sparky

They will work but not well, will have to stand on the pedal to operate the brakes. Have done this behind an AA van on a solid bar in a 309 :D

Rob

acox99

cheers guys solid bar it is then

pacey205

Solid bar definately.

Been towed in the 205 by my dads laguna and without any servo I could easily brake both cars to a stop (Dad basically only used the brakes right at junctions, roundabouts etc).

HTH

Michael

Edited by pacey205

Ren

I recently bought a solid bar from MachineMart to tow my car with and it was a hell of a lot easier than rope, and at £12 a bargain too.

miamistu

And it's illegal to tow with a rope now anyway :D

Anthony
And it's illegal to tow with a rope now anyway :D

That only applies to the motorway doesn't it, and it's still legal on A and B roads?

acox99

cheers guys bought a tow pole now, set me back 30 quid, but saves the 205 going up my arse and having to fork out a whole lot more, was going to avoid the m25 on the way back and take b roads, is it illegal to tow on a motorway full stop?

Rob_the_Sparky

Nope, that is what I was towed off...

Guest BrainFluid

I've wondered about this situation before with regards to the breaks "pumping" out.

Now, without me having to fully use my own brainpower, would it be possible to stop fuel from flowing (i dunno, take out the injectors and put some crappy dun-in ones in, and not connect the fuel unions to them) then put the car in the appropiate gear throughout the journey. Therefore allowing the running but not combusting engine to run the brake vacume and power steering?

Like I said I've not really thought it all through so feel free to call me an idiot as much as you like.

(within reason you cheeky swines)

acox99

wouldnt have thought that would work due to the compression of the engine.....could give it a go.....wouldnt want to be held responsible if something went tits up

Guest BrainFluid

But an engine is designed to compress! There would just be no combustion thats all...lol, I dont even know if it would even suck any air in in that hypothetical situation.

Okay, would there be anyway of allowing a engine to turn over (lets say) without any fuel going in and with no combustion while its being towed, just so the brakes and power steering work?

Just remember I'm not saying this would be a 'good' thing to do, just wether its possible, safely.

welshpug

no basically, but whats stopping you from driving it? borrow an A frame?

Sign in to follow this