• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grim.Badger

Cleaning Back Rust

Grim.Badger

As I've been moaning about at every given opportunity, my 205 has rust on the top of one of its suspension turrets.

I want to clean it using a wire brush on a drill and remove the strut and clean the top of the top-mount. Could this cause any more damage than has already been done? I only really want to see how much damage there is so that I can get a better idea of how much work is needed.

What seem to have happened is that the top mount started to rust and has pushed the turrett away whilst at the same time starting the rust developing on the turrett itself. The turrett top is slightly bent at the point of the rust which suggests a weakness. I think the most damage I could do would be when I remove the strut from the turrett as the metal could be quite weak, but as it is only around one of the studs I'm hoping that it will still be strong enough to get the car to a garage to get them to fix it.

What do you all think?

Sorry for the long post

Cheers :D

hengti

given the forces that pass through it, it must still be fairly strong, otherwise your strut would've made a break for it by now - can't imagine you'll damage anything whilst taking the strut out

Grim.Badger

Well I cleaned it back and it turns out that it's not as bad as I had been expecting. The topmount had rusted very badly to a point where I couldn't use it again but the chasis isn't too bad.

From the attached picture can anyone give me a clue as to how much this should cost to fix properly so that I don't get ripped off? As well as the hole the metal is buckled slightly at one of the mounting points (closest to the hole).

Picture

Sorry for the blurry picture but it's hard to get my camera to focus on the right thing sometimes and I was in a bit of a rush :D

Edited by Grim.Badger

welshpug

bloody ell! thats a bit of a mess, easy to fix tho, get some Pugsport type GP A/N strut top strengthening plates welded on.

Sandy

Wire brushing doesn't generally remove oxidation, it just polishes the surface. You need to use a grinder to have any meaningful effect on it. I worked in yacht paint for 8 years and wire brushing was responsible for the vast majority of paint failures on steel!

Edited by sandy309

Grim.Badger
Wire brushing doesn't generally remove oxidation, it just polishes the surface. You need to use a grinder to have any meaningful effect on it. I worked in yacht paint for 8 years and wire brushing was responsible for the vast majority of paint failures on steel!

Cheers but the wire brushing is only for my benefit to see whats going on. Once the welding is sorted, if the shop don't paint it then I'll prep the area properly with W&D.

I won't be getting anything welded over the top after the nightmare pictures Mttmk1 posted here, I'll stick to getting the rot cut out and a new peice butt welded in.

Rob_the_Sparky

That is nasty rust in a nasty place. The fact that it is bent is not a biggy, I've seen several 205s and a 309 with that bent with no rust at all, just means it has been driven VERY hard or hit something on that corner.

Rob

Grim.Badger
That is nasty rust in a nasty place. The fact that it is bent is not a biggy, I've seen several 205s and a 309 with that bent with no rust at all, just means it has been driven VERY hard or hit something on that corner.

Rob

I think it's caused by the weakened (by rust) turrett because it's only bent around one of the studs, the rest of the turrett top is fine and flat. Plus it's concave not convex.

I'm more worried that I was driving a car where the stut top was practically in peices because of the rust, rather than the rust on the turrett itself :ph34r:

I really didn't check here for rust when I bought it because I've never seen a 205 rust here before. It's really strange because it's fairly rust free elsewhere :)

Sign in to follow this