• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Steel Coolant Pipe..check Yours

christopher

Just changed the rad on my dad's 205.

The steel pipe that connects the rad to the back of the engine was pretty rusty. Just scraping it a tiny bit on the top was enough to perforate it. Lucky this happened on the driveway and not down a motorway..

Mine was a 92. If yours has never been changed then its sure on its way out..

Jer309GTi

Also, when changing it its worth giving the new one a few coats of hammerite to make sure it doesn't rust again ;)

trickywoo

Why could'nt pug paint / galvanize or make it from stainless steel in the first place?

Mines also fecked, really should change it...

Jonmurgie

Does seem a strange weak point on the 205's but it's cheap enough to change... pretty easy to do as well :D

welshpug

dunno why they didnt do as they did on the 306 and 405, just a long rubber hose clipped to the arch liner.

Edd-XS

Ive heard a few people just replace it with the hose of an XS as this is straight through. Will give it a go as ive got a spare XS lying about! lol

Edd

Higgy
Why could'nt pug paint / galvanize or make it from stainless steel in the first place?

Mines also fecked, really should change it...

By looking at a new pipe, Pug have used a passivate coating. Also most of the nuts/bolts are passivated. Thats why they come undone after 15 years (or not!).

Stainless - would cost a fortune to use. See how many stainless parts you have on your 205!

I'm in a nice position where material cost does not really come into my designs :D

Rob_the_Sparky

Well in steel they have lasted 15+ years, somehow I doubt Pug are that worried!

markic

makes me chuckle when i see them going for 30 quid on ebay. they are about a tenner from pug lol

mossy

Hi all

I picked one up from Pug along with the two rubber hoses as one of them is starting to split.

cost just under 30 quid for all 3 so not that expensive.

Al

mickie
makes me chuckle when i see them going for 30 quid on ebay. they are about a tenner from pug lol

i need one too, been looking through ebay and they're a joke :)

i dont get why its there, whats it for ? why didnt they just make a straight through pipe :D

inferno

hey chris, from what i remember your dads 205 had a new rad in it? what happened? or is this the 1.9?

yorkshirekowboy

no point really in paint the pipe with hammerite as it will just rust from the inside-out, all though it may make it look nicer than that horriable gold colour.

i juts changed mine when did engine change and mine was fooked aswell, and i noticed the two arm that keep it attached to arch was snapped so it was lying free, right next to the bottom end!!!

Higgy
...look nicer than that horriable gold colour.

Thats the corrosion protection!!

littlemike
no point really in paint the pipe with hammerite as it will just rust from the inside-out,

Not if you've got the correct mixture of antifreeze in your engine it won't :)

christopher
hey chris, from what i remember your dads 205 had a new rad in it? what happened? or is this the 1.9?

Hey,

No its the Cherry 1.9.

My dad sold the 1.6 a few months back now to be slaughtered :)

Funny though. All I did was brush the top of the pipe with my hand. Was enough to remove the loose rust and cause a couple of holes at least 5mm in diameter. The pipe was very rusty on the outside.

I was just imagining my mum driving home one and not noticing the temp light come up. Could have been major.. Or on some long journey somewhere.

It cost about £13 from pug (mine local dealer stocked them) and is quite easy to change. Only grief was getting the original hoseclips off (that can't be screwed) I had to cut them

Edited by christopher

DaveW

Plastic drianage pipe works too. Doug style :)

Guest BrainFluid

Well, I think its there because the alternators tension roller is very close to that spot, I replaced the metal hose with a rubber one on my 205Td and had to tie it down well with plastic ties because of the fear of it touching moving parts...afaik only the XU engines have that so close there, I cant remember what my old XT had or not...

Henry Yorke

I posted a while back that I think the 106 diesel has a plastic pipe there but can't quite remember.

I have a new steel one sitting on the shelf in my garage. Mine was just over £10 (with the PSOOC discount :ph34r: )

Baz

My Mi has had a pipe from something else put in that is rubber all the way, can't remember what from but i remember reading they're fitted to something, perhaps a ZX or something.

Gtautotech

Stainless steel pipe, sounds like a cracking idea will be on the case at work tommorrow see if i can find a bit

Sign in to follow this