• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oli-pug

Yet Another Knocking Noise

oli-pug

im getting a knocking sound from the front of my 205 gti... it only happens when im reversing (going backwards in general) and i when i apply the brakes, CLUNK! :)

ive replaced both droplinks, but one of the inner cv boots is split. could it be a case of a knackered driveshaft? or does it sound like something else..?

ta very much

Guest cknotty

Sounds like brake calipers to me: I have the same thing happen on my 106 (which I think is the same, or similar setup as a 1.6 GTi). Over time you get play in the bolts for the caliper (or the caliper itself, I forget :)) and since 90% of your braking is from forward rotation of the disc, you don't notice anything. When you brake from reversing, the rotation of the disc is reversed (obviously! :) ) and the drag pulls the caliper back slightly, hence the clunk.

HTH

Chris

Edp

I had this on my Xs and it was the lower engine mount has split.

Whenever I reversed there was a thud in the engine bay, it turned out when i was was reversing the engine was able to move slighty more and the exhaust downpipe was hitting underneath.

Worth a look.

wildejon

I had this and I found that one of the brake caliper mouting bolts was loose!!! Was left like that by a garage too...

I'd get your cv boot replaced mate or you'll need to replace the cv joint, which is a pain in the ar$e! Or just buy a new driveshaft...

Sign in to follow this