• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrsP

Over Heating

Guest MrsP

heres my problem...

Called the aa out as my car had water running out from under the bonnet, they tested it etc and said it was a knackered water pump, had it taken to a garage we use but they were away on hols so the next door garage fixed it for us, so we had a new water pump fitted and app while they are there its standard to change the timing belt.

Took the car away and it was still running water out from some where so took it back to the garage, this time they said the thermostat had gone and it was not related to the previous problem.

Thing is this - the problem is still there and its over heating every time i put my foot on the accelerator.

Its going back to garage tomorrow but i think they are taking the p**s now so far it has cost me an arm and a leg.

Any advice on what this could be? and if this sounds like i am being ripped?

pug_ham

I think they are taking the P***.

Timing belt is usual with a water pump so thats no bad thing but how a broken thermostat would cause a water leak is beyond me. It could the the thermostat is stuck closed which would explain why it is over heating but they are less than £10 & at most a hours labour to fit.

If you can wait until your normal garage comes back from holiday it might save you some cash but if it is still leaking, fill it up & run it for a few minutes whilst trying to see where the water is leaking from.

Graham.

richard

Have a look in the XU section. There are numerous posts about overheating.

Common problems are blocked radiator, faulty thermostat, waterpump failure, thermostat loom failure, over filling or fluid mixture %....and of course the Head Gasket.

The head gasket test is probably the easiest and most immediate answer. I'd suggest you take it to another garage if cant wait. Get them to do a 'sniff test' where they put the exhaust meter into the expansion tank. If you have emissions in there then your head gasket is very likely leaking. Pressurising the coolant system and ejecting water out of the weakest point once the water movement has stopped. (ie when the pump stops)

Hope that helps.

trickywoo

You say water is running out. Can you see it on the ground or is it just that the level is dropping? If the level is dropping then its going to be the head gasket.

wildejon

Ive just had something similar on mine, turns out it was a tiny hole in the radiator (I think, it was certainly spraying out under pressure)combined with the lower hose (attaches to the bottom of the rad on the drives side) bring a bit knackered. Replaced these and all is pretty much hunky dory again!

richard

Also, if its leaking from the o/s of the car it could be the infamous metal pipe. This corrodes and leaks. About £12 from pug iirc.

Guest MrsP

hi all thanks for your reply,

I was told by the aa that it was not the head gasket they did some test with blue fluid. I took it back to the garage and they "looked" at and they dont know it is fixed or not was just told to check the water level every morn before i drive it.

Fingers crossed the water is not pouring out now (it was the passanger side, everytime i stoped there was a river down the street lol) and it seems to be ok.

pugrallye

sounds like a stuck thermostat causing header tank to boil over, i suppose in a hurry could be mistaken for a failing water pump, but AA should have flow tested the pump ideally, sounds like they used UV dye to check head gasket integrity, so must be all okay

IF water pump had failed, it is not uncommon for overheating of the block to cause thermostat to sieze up, I suppose in an ideal world this would have been noted as they were running car up to operating temp bleeding coolant through.

From the garages point of view all they have done is repaired a previous diagnosis, then when been authorised to diagnose by you, they have found the fault, so dont really feel they were intentionally ripping you off

Edited by pugrallye

Sign in to follow this