• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brianthemagical

Exhaust Stud Missing

brianthemagical

one of the studs that hold the exhaust manifold on is missing. is this in anyway dangerous ar damaging to anything other than fuel consumption? thanks

frodo_monkey

Wouldn't have thought it would be dangerous, but when a similar thing happened to me (wasn't missing, just *ahem* forgot to put it back :( ) the exhaust manifold didn't seal properly so I got a slightly smoky engine bay.

An easy fix - Autofive sent me eight brand new ones for about a fiver when I replaced my exhaust manifold, just run the stud into the head by hand then put the bolt for the manifold on it. And hey presto, Roberts your mothers live-in lover :D

welshpug

to fit a replacement put 2 nuts on one end locked together, then use them to wing it into the head and tighten it properly.

doing it as above will inevitably lead to the stud loosening and falling out...

jimbean

[are you sure it is missing? a commen fault on the xu9 engine is th snap the end bolt in the manafold. get a mirror and look down the hole check for the bolt if not snapped just put a short boltwith a spring washer in it

brianthemagical

thanks for the help. it might be snapped, i havn't looked yet. is it possible to reuse the studs as i have a spare engine i can take them off.

jimbean

yes if you use 2 nut`s tightend together you can remove it from the old engine and into the new one

Guest keithsto

When i removed my cylinder head I found that the end stud was snapped in.

Stud extractor got it out real easily tho. Cant understand why it snapped?

Sign in to follow this