• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pug205rally

Close Ratio Box On A Budget

pug205rally

I see the 205 challenge boys can buy a gear kit to change 3rd, 4th and 5th to a closer ratio and it appears to be based on a 106 box. As ever cash is tight and looking to have a bash on the cheap. Anyone know what box can be used and done it for themselves.

Done a quick search and can't see anything obvious, apologies of covered elsewhere

Ta for response

Sandy

106 (MA) gears can't be used in the 205 (BE) gearbox. I don't know where that was postedm, but it's caused alot of confusion.

Arguably the best combination for competition, is 1.9 gear ratios, with the Mi16 4.42 final drive, or the 4.8 from certain vans.

Guest Fangoria

i use 1st and 2nd out of a 1.6 box, 3rd and 4th from a MI16 and 5th from a 1.6 box, used the MI16 cwp too so its a 4.4 and i've fitted a tran x diff, good set up for my road rally car

arry

You are WELCOME to my gearbox, which will be coming off in a few weeks - it's so short the car hits 90mph at 6100rpm ish

one thing I will say, it's also coming off because I have a problem selecting gear when it gets hot, but I think I've narrowed that down to the clutch being completely knackered now

Guest Fangoria

thats probably a 4.8 then isn't it cos mine revs on 6100rpm at about 100mph

arry
thats probably a 4.8 then isn't it cos mine revs on 6100rpm at about 100mph

No idea what it is or what it's components are - it was put on by the previous owner. Personally I don't like it, it's truly annoying for motorway use :(

Guest Fangoria

yes i know mine is in a road rally car and driving to events on the motorway etc is a nightmare!! good in the lanes though

Sandy
i use 1st and 2nd out of a 1.6 box, 3rd and 4th from a MI16 and 5th from a 1.6 box, used the MI16 cwp too so its a 4.4 and i've fitted a tran x diff, good set up for my road rally car

That doesn't make a very close ratio box?

1st to 2nd drops 3526rpm

2nd to 3rd drops 2565rpm

3rd to 4th drops 2000rpm

4th to 5th drops 792rpm

And first would be frustratingly short, topping out at 32.2mph at 7000rpm.

The 1.9 gears with Mi16 final drive give:

1st to 2nd drops 2932rpm

2nd to 3rd drops 2119rpm

3rd to 4th drops 1712rpm

4th to 5th drops 1527rpm

With a tallish first for good launching, topping out at 36.5mph at 7000rpm.

(On 195/50/15 tyres)

Guest Fangoria

i don't know about the ratios but a few challenge boys have got the same box as me which is why i bought a MI16 and built a box, works well for road rallying anyway.

Guest clarky205

Any idea which vans had the 4.8 final drive?

brianthemagical

i'm not sure on this but as his names 205rally i would assume he had a 205 rally which as far as know is about 1.4 or something (if it isn't the 1.9 rally). if it is the smaller engine then according to haynes there was only 1.6 and 1.9 xu's in the 205. this would lead me to belive that it was a tu and therefore had an ma box. this is drawing on the assumption that the thread was placed in the wrong section of the forum. although that might all be wrong.

Sign in to follow this