• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Xsara Vts Engine Id (finally Got Photos)

pugpete1108

just got the pics for the engine i am going to buy (if its the right one) , hope someone can give me a posetive id on it :)

the bloke said its for a 97' plate xsara vts (gti6 engine i believe?)

thanks in advance :(

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

fingers crossed :(

Sandy

That's the normal 2 litre 406/Xantia etc engine. Definately not GTi6/Xsara VTS. Sorry.

Guest cknotty

I spy a nice looking 205 hiding in pic 2... :(

Hope that isn't being scrapped... :)

pugpete1108
That's the normal 2 litre 406/Xantia etc engine. Definately not GTi6/Xsara VTS. Sorry.

gutted , how could you tell?

Dj_mini

Doesnt exactly look like its been removed carefully either :)

Jer309GTi

Hmmm inlet ports left uncovered for the rain to get in, not good :)

jochem

It does have the exta lumps on the carter to support the 6box for the 306. Not sure those would be on the 406 lump.

Apart from that, i wouldn't be to happy to buy a wet engine that has the ports open....

cybernck

hmm well it looks like GTI-6/VTS engine to me!

1232_engine~2.jpg

exhaust manifold pattern looks ok, not sure if that's a decisive clue though?

normal 2-liter Xantia engine looks like this:

engine_room2.jpg

notice the slightly different rocker cover.

either way, you'd want inlet and exhaust manifolds etc supplied with the engine!

Sandy
gutted , how could you tell?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/pug...08/P1010026.jpg Note integrated coilpack, not a raised cover for individual coils, 406/Xantia right hand engine mount, alloy water outlet housing.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/pug...08/P1010025.jpg Iron block indicates 2 litre, reinforced sump pan likewise.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/pug...08/P1010024.jpg Even better view of top right engine mount, 306/Xsara one is smaller and doesn't have the extra bush.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i122/pug...08/P1010023.jpg Coolant pipe across the back is basic 2 litre, GTi6/VTS one is different and has a small take off half way along.

hmm well it looks like GTI-6/VTS engine to me!

1232_engine~2.jpg

exhaust manifold pattern looks ok, not sure if that's a decisive clue though?

normal 2-liter Xantia engine looks like this:

engine_room2.jpg

notice the slightly different rocker cover.

either way, you'd want inlet and exhaust manifolds etc supplied with the engine!

Some of the normal 1.8/2 litres have cast alloy cam covers. the exhaust and inlet bolt patterns are the same for all post 97 1.8/2 litres.

welshpug

Did you not get the exhaust and intake manifolds? they are a surefire way of telling which engine it is, failing that just read the engine code!

In the 306 I know that it comes with an awesome tubular stainless 4 -2 manifold, and that the intake is like that in the first picture above.

I have seen 1.8 16v engine covers that looked the same but they have the plastic intake.

Miles

The head should have RS stamped into the side or back (All of my head's have but just can;t remember the exact position)

maxi

I agree its 100% not a GTi6 or VTS lumps. The way to tell is to check to see if the head has RS stamped on the end of it as miles said, will be gearbox end.

Interesting fact I found out is that the VTS lumps are 180BHP with the citreon management and GTi6's only 167BHP with their std setup. Dont believe me, check the technical data!

Maxi

jackherer
Interesting fact I found out is that the VTS lumps are 180BHP with the citreon management and GTi6's only 167BHP with their std setup. Dont believe me, check the technical data!

I'd love to be proved wrong but everything I've ever read says they are 167bhp exactly the same as the 306... what technical data are you talking about?

Miles

This is what you'll see on the side of the head, just behind the stat housing

Sandy

And I forgot the vacuum pump!

gti_al

The 2L engine is decent though, isn't it? I asked about them a while ago, and it seemed that they respond well to some gti6 bits... (I was looking at one because i can't find any xu10j4rs lumps here)

Maybe it is worth playing with one of these if you can't find a gti6 to start with? (Probably best not to use something that has been left in the rain though lol)

Edited by gti_al

pugpete1108
The 2L engine is decent though, isn't it? I asked about them a while ago, and it seemed that they respond well to some gti6 bits... (I was looking at one because i can't find any xu10j4rs lumps here)

Maybe it is worth playing with one of these if you can't find a gti6 to start with? (Probably best not to use something that has been left in the rain though lol)

yeah i did consider this idea , but figured if i am gonna do it i am gonna do it right first time, .

the bloke wanted £300 delivered , but i have been offered the same one (2lts 406/xantia engine) for £100 and have seen they are plentifull in supply.

i will keep up the hunt for a decent engine ( gti-6,s16 or mi16 ) , i am sure one will turn up sooner or later.

bitchass 205

I know my mechanic had two Mi engines, he took them down the local scrappy in bethersden i think although i don't know millage or condition. He also had a Mi box as wel.

Michael

Alan_M
I'd love to be proved wrong but everything I've ever read says they are 167bhp exactly the same as the 306... what technical data are you talking about?

Not saying its correct but EVO magazine lists the Xsara VTS as 180bhp.

pug_ham

I've just looked through Autodata for all the years the Xsara VTS (98-04) has been made & its listed as 167bhp for them all.

Graham.

maxi
I've just looked through Autodata for all the years the Xsara VTS (98-04) has been made & its listed as 167bhp for them all.

Graham.

My mate checked his copy for me and it said it was 180BHP.... strange that evo lists it as that too???

I always thought they were the same 167BHP but was corrected...

Maxi

VisaGTi16v

As a self confessed Citroen geek I can confirm that the Xsara VTS is identical to the xu10jr4s as found in the 306 GTi-6. 167bhp 1998cc. It just has a 5 speed box thats all.

The ZX 16v over here from 1993-1996 had the earlier 2 litre that went in the mk2 405 Mi16 and 306 S16 and was 155bhp (some 93 cars were 150bhp).

In France the ZX 16v was sold longer from 96-98 and it actually had the 167bhp spec engine before the Xsara and the 306 did and was a lot lighter but sadly not sold over here in that form.

Darren

Xsara VTS

Visa GTi 16v

Sign in to follow this